Need some help finding a good system monitor

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Heimdall, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

What I'm looking for is a freeware application that will allow me to monitor the following:

CPU utilisation
    GPU utilisation
    Disk utilisation (not free/used space)
    Network utilisation
    S.M.A.R.T
    All system temperatures

The application should run in the background and use minimal system resources. It needs to be able to log all relevant data, which can then be analysed in various ways, one of which should be graphically.

I'm not looking for something like Rainmeter or other desktop widget.

I've played with Performance monitor under Windows and with WMI gets part of the way, but it's a bit of a pain. I'd prefer to have something easier to configure.

I've also tried Speedfan but it doesn't see my GPU. Everest/AIDA doesn't appear to allow logging? I've also looked at a variety of other utilities:

CPU-Z
    GPU-Z
    HWMonitor
    Open Hardware Monitor
    Process Hacker
    Process Explorer
    HWInfo32

and some others I forget, whilst they are all useful they tend to only do one part of the job, mostly they are good monitors but lack logging capabilities or only look at one aspect of the whole.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. Heimdall

Thanks for the suggestions, they are both very useful utilities. Unfortunately, they only show data as an instance in 'real-time'. What I'm looking for is a way to capture data, cumulatively over several days, which may then be analysed.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I could, potentially, use Windows Perfmon. It has great logging capabilities but the problem is getting all the counters together, as some are only available programmatically and that's a path I'd rather not take, yet...

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Try HWMonitor Pro (1.10). Pro version supports adding required parameters in system tray and uses negligible resources. You can try System Monitor II (desktop gadget) too.

5. Heimdall

Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked at HWMonitor and although the image files it creates have a use, they're not really what I need. I haven't looked at System Monitor yet, but it looks interesting, although it doesn't appear to support S.M.A.R.T or GPUs.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  6. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

According to my limited knowledge, there is no single utility to monitor and report everything you have mentioned in first post. You have to use multiple utilities to get desired real-time results.

You can also check useful utilities from this site: OrbLog

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

If you can't find what you want supplied by Microsoft or BenchmarkHQ, I'd agree with the above.

8. axial

axial Registered Member

NOD32 reports that the SIW download from the "g.t.o" (obfuscated) website referenced in post #2 above is potentially contaminated with something called "openCandy"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCandy

edit: The CNET download link does not trigger the same warning.

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. axial

axial Registered Member

hmmm, I can't i.d. which link it was now, I should have noted more detail when I posted, my apologies. Today's d/l of Zip doesn't trigger the warning. The host for the Zip version seems to have changed since I originally posted (it wasn't hotfiles previously), so perhaps that was the one. Haven't tested the hotfiles d/l as I don't know that website.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

axial, when I saw your post, I made Gabriel Topala (SIW) aware of this thread, via email, just in case.

12. axial

axial Registered Member

ah, that explains the change. Thank you, JR.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

axial, you're welcome! Take care.

14. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

When you hit the Eureka! button from SIW's menu, the program downloads in the temp folder in the user profile a SiwPwdSpy.dll thing that triggers my Avira. I uploaded the file to VT and it came back with a 13/42 result or something like this. But this is supposed to be a known issue. The developer says that he had mailed the AV vendors repeatedly that this is a false positive, but some of them ignore him

15. axial

axial Registered Member

Unfortunate (and ill-conceived) name for the file, though.

16. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.