Need Linux Boot Floppies. Why?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by adem, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adem

adem Guest

I hate to have to go through the loops of cloning a Linux system since I have to manually do things by booting with Linux floppies etc.

Can TI8-4Linux do this all by itself, or will it be the Next_Version (TM).

Thanks,

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, adem

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

Not sure what you are asking, the BootDisk should work with any
    :eek: OS, see the bit on What operating systems does Acronis True Image 8.0 run on? so they say:- FAQ

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. adem

adem Guest

Hi TheQuest,

You're right, I wasn't very clear; let me have anoter go :)

ATM, I used TI8S-4Win generated bootable CD to create an image of the following HW:

-- HDD: RAID5 on 3Ware

When booted from TI8S-4Win CD, I was successful at creating image --for which I am thankful.

Now, when I tried to restore to another box (with identical HW, except that the RAID size was bigger), the process of restoring went without a hithc.

Actually it went without a hithc until it came to actually booting the newly created box.

Once the thing is ready to boot, I get a missing MBR message and that I need to insert Linux boot floppies to do some manual tweaking (recreate GRUB etc.). IOW, what boots at the original does not do so on the clone...

My question is about the last step: Am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't TI8S just recreate the whole thing by itself --this is,after all, what it does with Windows stuff. So, why am I asked to perform some black magic when it comes to Linux?

BTW, ATM, I don't have TI8S-4Linux, so I don't know if it suffers from the same problem --I'd like to know if TI8S-4Linux created boot CD could handle this better.

PS: Since the whole thing was on a 3ware RAID, Linux boot floppies did not help in recreating GRUB and MBR. So, I ended up doing a RedHat upgrade cycle to get it to boot again. I am not sure if this is the way to do it.

Any help, any light, on this will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    adem

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello adem,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image Server (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimageserver/).

The thing is that when you change the size of RAID array to restore the image to then it can appear that you will need to reactivate your boot loader.

If this is the case we recommend you to boot your computer from Linux installation CD, go to the Recovery Console, mount the partition with GRUB and rewrite it.

Also Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Linux doesn't differ from Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Windows in this problem.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213
    South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis support department
    e-mail: support@acronis.com

Acronis... compute with confidence

5. adem

adem Guest

Wish List [Re: Need Linux Boot Floppies. Why?]

Could you not make it so that it handles that sort of thing without user intervention.

The reason is, there are times it simply is not feasible to create such floppies.

Or, at times, those floppies simply fail.

Thanks for a great product,

adem

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: Wish List [Re: Need Linux Boot Floppies. Why?]

Our Development Team will definitely work on this problem and it will be fixed in future versions of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213
    South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis support department
    e-mail: support@acronis.com

Acronis... compute with confidence

7. yoshi

yoshi Guest

Can you tell me if this has been fixed at all?

I am looking to purchase this tool for migrating my Suse 9.2 linux to a new bigger hard disk. I am soooo new to linux that I wouldn't even know how to do the black magic to get it working.

Ta

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.