Need Help With Vista

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

My grand daughter has a Dell Inspiron 1420 with Vista. The original owner (her step brother) had the hard drive full. When it tried to update it locked up. I went into the Dell Restore and reloaded the system. It does fine except for one thing. It keeps wanting to download and install Service Pack 1. It gives an error Code 800F081F. I did some research on line and saw System Update Readiness Tool. That didn't help. What can I do? Please!

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. WilliamP

I tried Method 1 and that didn't show the tool. I went Method 2 and downloaded the tool. On reboot it ran a scan then closed. It seems like the download is messed up somehow and it can't read it.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

If the hard drive is full, you should uninstall unnecessary programs, use a junk cleaner like CCleaner (not a registry cleaner), delete the largest unneeded files (easy with something like SpaceSniffer), and remove all system restore points except for the latest.

5. WilliamP

The hard drive is no way near full. I took care of that when I reloaded the system.

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

after you ran the tool did you try reinstalling the service pack? Did the tool leave a log ? Did you try stand alone SP1 install?
    "..
    %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
    %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log
    .."

7. WilliamP

The tool didn't leave a log. I didn't try a stand alone SP1.

8. WilliamP

I have tried a stand alone SP1. It downloaded 2 files to the download folder. Neither one would open. It said Windows was unable to open them.

9. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

It should be just one executable file (.exe) and it will be big, around 435 MB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791#Download

Click the above link and the page that opens has several places where it says "Click here to download SP1." Click one of them and you'll be presented with all the different versions. Find the appropriate one and click the link. It'll take you to a download page. Double check all the information to make sure it's the one you want and click the download link. More than likely you'll be diverted to yet another page where the download is supposed to start automatically but it never does for me. If it doesn't just click the "Start download" link and it should start.

Sometimes after you restore or reinstall the operating system Windows can be temperamental. If it doesn't install the first time try it again, or download the installer again then try it.

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Are you using the latest version of Windows Installer?

11. WilliamP

I have downloaded SP1 to my computer,then put it on a flash drive. I will see if I can update her laptop the next time I can get my hands on it. She was visiting this past week end. How can I tell if she has the latest Windows Installer?

12. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Run Windows update and see what it offers. It will probably be a long list so if unsure post it here and we can check. But essentially, exclude service pack(s) and install the other updates

13. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I think if you have Vista you should have the required installer. The system requirement information says you only need Vista. Usually it'll say if you need to update the installer. You can see which installer version you have by entering msiexec /? in the Run box or command prompt.

14. WilliamP

Thanks for the help.

15. WilliamP

Cudni, if I try to run Windows update it just seems to bypass a scan for updates. It just says you have this SP1 to update.

16. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.