Need help understanding weather the DNS Chace is a threat or just My moms new printer

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by MissJibril, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissJibril

MissJibril Registered Member

Hello, Sorry to be a bother but I am frankly computer stupid, There a nice step by step list of instructions but I'm still really confused I hope someone can Help

Last month beginning of June My computer had what Eset called a DSN cache poisoning attack. Now I was assured by a friend it was nothing to worry about and since it only lasted about 8 second and never happened again I assumed Eset handled it because it didn't tell me to do anything.

Today it's happened again for a longer stretch of time to the point I grew concerned and shut my computer down fearing my computer was being hacked.

Using my moms laptop I looked up what it meant and got a list of detailed instructions on the Eset website which I have followed but now I'm stuck, I checked the IP address of both what is listed as the 'Source' and the 'target' because I wasn't sure which and both fall under the 'safe zone' Number that the page has listed

Determine if the IP address detected in the notification is a number that falls within the following range (where "x" is 0-255):

172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x
    192.168.x.x
    10.x.x.x

It falls in that range however under that there's a big yellow box that states

You should only add an IP address to the trusted zone if you know it is safe.

The problem is how do I know if it's safe or not, The first attack the short one came from the same source as the ones that happened today but my mom only got her printer a week ago so I don't think that's it so I don't know what to do can some one help explain what I should do? or weather it's something I don't have to be worried about, because I really don't want my computer to get hacked

Thank you very much
    Jibril

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello Missbrill :)
    You can create a log of all connections blocked by the Eset firewall. It will help you, with support from Eset Customer Care, to solve or get wiser about the blocked connections you are receiving (DNS cache poisoning attack). How to create a firewall log that customer care can use, see this link : How do I create a log of all connections blocked by the ESET Personal firewall? (5.x) Please notice at the end of the article there is a link to Customer Care.
    Did you know (If you want to check) that there is a command line utility in windows, that allows you to get the IP address information of a Windows computer. First Open the Start Menu. then Click on All Programs, Accessories, and on Command Prompt.Then in command Promt write: ipconfig , and press enter. (if you use the command, ipconfig /all ,you will get more details.) If you will use ipconfig /all command, then write: ipconfig and the press the Spacebar, and then write the rest of the command.
    HTH, Janus

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.