Need help setting up my new laptop!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hpnotiq, Dec 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hpnotiq

Hpnotiq Registered Member

This is what i currently have installed for security purposes:
    -NOD32
    -Spyware Doctor
    -Ad-aware doctor
    I'm trying to get a firewall but im not sure which to get.

What else should i add to the setup?

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you could add some patches like safexp, hardenit and secureit. if you need any help ask.

3. Hpnotiq

how about firewall? etc

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i don't really follow firewalls but it might help if you say if you want a rules based firewall or application based one. if you're not sure then maybe application would be best.

5. Hpnotiq

maybe something like kerio or any good firewall that isnt hard on the computer resources
    what else should i add to the setup

6. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

Outpost Pro for firewall and Acronis True Image plus an external HD for your images

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

kerio is good i use the old 2.1.5 version, if you run hardenit it makes Kerio even safer by stopping the half open SYN exploits. also, maybe an old zone alram would be good too, they run fairly light and are much easier to setup.

i have a registry monitor
    freeware:MJ Registry Watcher
    shareware:Regdefend

automatic registry backup
    ERUNT, i use the exe version because the zip version doesn't automatically backup your registry each boot. after 30 days the old backups are deleted
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

then i turn off unneeded services, especially NetBios which is used to share printers but can be exploited over TCP/IP
    start>then i think it's called network connections, it's above the help icon>right-click your network connection and select properties>networking>highlight internet protocol TCP/IP>Properties>Advanced>WINS>Disable NetBios. i disable LMHOSTLOOKUP too.

i turn off unneeded services too because if you have one running which isn't needed that uses the TCP/IP suite they can open ports behind your back :eek: here's a good guide to follow
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

you could also download one or two of the standalone scanners and run them if every you wanted a second opinion.

you could get process guard or prevx or something similar too there are a few others too antihook and online armour, maybe someone could tell you about them?

you could get wwdc.exe to close some ports which trojans use, Bugoff.exe to close some holes in IE, IESPYAD to restrict what dangerous sites can do when using IE, harden the settings of IE too. use Opera instead of IE :D

install Sun Java because the version which MS use is not as safe, i think it's important to get Sun Java. i really like Proxomitron too, it's very difficult to learn but it's possible to just set it up and forget about it.

spywareblaster by Javacool is useful if you use Firefox and IE and Javacool also makes a program which checks the licence agreements of software called EULA something which could be useful if you like installing software from places you don't know.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Ccleaner is very good too it will empty temp folders, temp internet files, unwanted cookies, history, recently typed urls etc you can configure it to clean on bootup. it also has a registry cleaner which is very good, if you use the registry cleaner make sure you make backups every time you use it, a mistake can make you do a reinstall.
    www.ccleaner.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.