need help setting up computer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i cant remember what i need to disable on a standalone xp home computer. ive disconnected file and printer sharing. what about the others? on the screenshot do i uncheck all, but the (TCP/IP)? thanks :)

i hope the screenshot uploaded, im useing IE with pretty much everything disabled, and wilders isnt in the trusted zone yet, is now, maybe its proxo's trusted zone i need to put it in, ive done that but things are still abit odd

well if the screenshot uploads, what should i do?

Attached Files:

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Mine.. dial up.. standalone.. :) don't know about scheduler

TAS

Attached Files:

• 128.GIF
      128.GIF
      File size:
      20.3 KB
      Views:
  3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Well Ice, after much conferencing with my friends.... a Dragon, a Kitty and an Evil Eye.. apparently you can uncheck the scheduler also.. and in Services, you can set it to DISABLE... Qos RSVP it's under :)

Also according to Blackviper's site... I am told by puffmd [name dropper that I am] :D

TAS

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Tassie. ive got the same settings as you now :eek: . i also just disabled Net/BIOS over TCP/IP, which was what i was looking for in the first place. thanks :cool:

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

yea, i knew those were the right settings :rolleyes: thanks again, i'll make the changes. theres so many things to remember when you reinstall. ive got to start imaging. i'm going to test out gibson's research three musketeers see what happens

6. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Ice,

All the Gibson utilities are no longer needed with Windows XP SP2.

It is just a matter of whether WWDC, HTAstop2003, and DSOstop2 are also obsolete.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i've just been going through some patches and WWDC, HTAstop2003, and DSOstop2 are needed, and also so far, now im not 100%, because i wasnt really taking enough notice, just clicking then moving on to the next one, but socketlock and plug & play are needed. if i find anything else i'll let you know. maybe i'll add this too that other thread, which i think you started :)

8. Devinco

Thanks Iceni.

Very strange that Gibson didn't test his own utilities before making the claim they are all obsolete with SP2.

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I really like SafeXP on my two XP machines - neither of which has been upgraded to SP2. SafeXP would still be good with SP2 anyway, I imagine o_O

I don't feel a need to upgrade them until I have seen every problem ironed out - they are behind my router and get very limited online use, and I update their security apps weekly more or less.

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Safexp works just fine with sp2 ;)

11. Devinco

Hi Detox,

I was going to wait with SP2 a little longer as well, but this jpeg exploit got me motivated! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.