Need Help from Vista User

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by twl845, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi, I re-installed Vista on my Son's computer and started to set up his Windows Mail. I went through the set up procedure until I got to a page where you enter the ID and password you want to use. I entered an ID and then mistakenly clicked Continue before I had entered a password. That page was evidently the end of the set up. When I access the welcome page and attempt to do anything, the window to enter the ID and password pops up, and won't accept the ID without the missing password. I have tried to find somewhere where I can delete the present screwed up ID and missing Password window and do it over, but since I use XP on my computer I can't find a way. I went to the Control panel looking for an E-Mail folder like I have in my XP but there is no such folder there that I can find.
    Can someone please guide me as to how to correct this situation? Thank you in advance! :)
    P.S. Actually he doesn't need an ID and password since he's the lone user.

2. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I have Vista and used to use Windows Mail. As a suggestion, when you open it up and the box pops up asking for the ID & Password just cancel it and in the main window go Tools>Accounts>Properties>Servers>Incoming Mail Server. Re-enter the ID & Password there and check "Remember password." See if that fixes it.

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the response. You suggest to re-enter the ID and password, but remember I only originally entered an ID but neglected to enter a password. Would entering a password now still work? :p

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't. It just needs is the data to authenticate itself when communicating with the mail server, so pop in the password you forgot to fill in the first time around and you should be good to go.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw windows mail has been replaced by windows live mail part of the windows live suite of programs so i would suggest to install that and use it instead.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK thanks I'll try it.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that too. :)

8. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Hi twl845, by re-enter I meant to clear any data that might already be there like the ID for example and re-enter everything from scratch. :)

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Allizomeniz, Thanks for the clarification. I corrected the problem and all is well. The pop up window actually wanted the e-mail account address as the ID, and the IP password that was issued when my Son signed up for Time Warner broadband service. I had to call and get the password. Arrrrgh! o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.