Need help - disk or BIOS problems

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by domino1, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domino1

domino1 Registered Member

Re: Award BIOS Code Injection

I love this forum and this subject. Ive been on an adventure with my computers this past year. I would get my fair share of malware and spyware. Ive done a lot of reinstalls of the OS. That fixed everything for a week or two or a month. Then I started wiping out the hard drives with duke nukem, drivescrubber, and white canyon wipe drive. Only the wipedrive would work on my computer all the others would fail to load or detect disc errors. Wipe Drives results were not consistent. So I battled this for a while. I started realizing that my 250 gig hard drives were raid o as 470gig. 30 gigs short.So I ditched those hard drives suspecting bios malware. I put two new hard drives in 160g each. My raid O reading was like 315 or so gigs.. After reinstall of OS I end up with 10 gigs short on each drive. The 160g ended up being 149g. I tried flashing the bios immediately but the dell sytem you have to start in windows and then restart and that is when it flashes the bios. I feel like I am late with the flash, I need to flash in the bios setup before I reinstall the os. Can anybody offer me any advice?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

There are kilobytes and there kibibytes. Kylobite is 1024 bytes. Kibibyte is actually 1000 bites. Most manufacturers sell you hard disks in kibi and not kylo.

So 1GB is only 1e9 bytes and not 1024x1024x1024 bytes, which ends up as 1073741824 bytes. They are "stealing" roughly 74mb for each Gb. So an 80GB drives ends up 80Gb - 80*74Mb = 80Gb - 5.92Gb = 74.18 ~ 74.2Gb. Which means your 160Gb drive will be actually 160 - 2*5.92 = 148 REAL Gb, just what you have.

It's not malware, it's not bios, it's not disk problems, it's marketing.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.