Need help choosing the right Dell laptop

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gracie123, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

I may be going on a trip very soon and I would like to buy a laptop from Dell to use on my trip. I am just looking for a very basic, not to expensive and not to cheap configuration because I don't want to spend a lot of money. So I have configured the cheapest Dell laptop for the home user and here is what I came up with:

PROCESSOR Mobile AMD Sempron™ 3500+ (1.8GHz/512KB)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    LCD PANEL 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife™(glossy)
    MEMORY 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM
    HARD DRIVE 80GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    OPTICAL DRIVE 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
    VIDEO CARD ATI RADEON® Xpress1150 256MB HyperMemory™ (Integrated)
    WIRELESS CARDS Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)

With this config, would the laptop run Windows Vista well? If anyone has suggestions for the config I came up with, please let me know... I'm just trying to make it where it doesen't cost a lot of money (passed $1000) and basic enough to run Windows Vista well and multiple programs well.

-Gracie :)

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Vista will run, but the hard drive will slow it down compared to the 7200RPM drives in desktops.

I think the rest should be fine. Also maybe the Athlon 64 TK-53 would be better. The dual cores would make running multiple programs smoother.

3. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Definitely try to get a 7200rpm hard drive for that laptop if you're going to punish it with Vista.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The 5400rpm hdd's perform pretty well imo, thats what i use in my Inspiron 6400. I considered the 7200rpm hdd but i read that it generates more heat and uses more power which i definitely didn't want in a laptop.

Another thing to consider is the battery, if you are going to be using on the road a higher capacity will really help out.

I believe Dell may still have option of having XP on you laptop which would perform better than vista on a low spec system and you'd be able to get away with 1 gig of ram making the purchase slightly cheaper.

5. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Hmmm... I've installed 72000rpm drives in two Compaq (14" and 15.4") laptops over a year ago and haven't had any problems with higher heat issues, and the speed difference is definitely noticeable in both. In a 15.4" form-factor as the OP will be using, heat won't be an issue. Using Seagate drives in both and getting *better* battery life too. :cool:

@gracie123 - you can read through the following reviews and decide for yourself:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150380 1035507776&name=7200 RPM

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

{In a 15.4" form-factor as the OP will be using, heat won't be an issue.}

Does the 15.4 generate less heat than a 14 inch?

[Using Seagate drives in both and getting *better* battery life too.]

Is there a choice in the Dell laptops?

Thanks,
    Jerery

7. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

FYI, there is a good web site on notebooks.

http://www.notebookreview.com/

I believe that there are more experts there on notebooks to answer your questions.

(I do not have any business/personal relationship with the website mentioned. I just think that it may be of some help to you.)

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.