Need for HIPS with this set up ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I got rid of my latest HIPS trial and want opinions on this set up as to whether anyone thinks I need a HIPS or not.

Netopia NAT router w/firewall
    Comodo firewall
    NOD32 av
    SuperAntiSpyware Pro
    Ad Muncher
    IE 7 with SpywareBlaster and XP AntiSpy

Shouldn't Comodo and SAS take care of whatever a HIPS would alert to? If I still need a HIPS I would appreciate a few suggestions. I have tried most already (DSA, SSM and CyberHawk Pro) except for winpooch and pro-security free version and a few others. I would not classify myself as a safe surfer. But if someone suggests a HIPS I would like one that does not pop up and alert all the time.

Thanks

2. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I mostly have the same setup as you, and seriously I am waiting for Comdo Firewall Pro version 3, it would complete your setup as it contains Defense+, a darn good hips and your done. But like I said your'e gonna have to wait till it's done, you can try the alpha version if you wanna take the risk, but otherwise you can try other hips or use non until the comodo firewall is out.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Your setup seems fine though I wouldnt use IE. Firefox or Opera would be better.

As for HIPS, have you tried either Prevx2 or Online Armor?

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Yes, tried both. OA conflicts with ad muncher and for some reason the firewall was having issues on my system. Prevx was ok but I liked Cyberhawk Pro better, then uninstalled CH because it seemed cause problems with NOD32.

I am thinking of trying safari as soon as they get a spell check.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Theres Neoava Guard. Beta 3 was recently released. Or perhaps youd like to try a sandbox HIPS like DefenceWall.

Like I said earlier though, your setup seems fine without HIPS.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Selecting an optimal HISP is always an uphill battle. Compatibility issues are very common during those trials ans errors. At the end , one often ask oneself whether enough is enough. Your Nod32, commodo fw and SAS pro should provide you sufficient protections. If not, try OA or Prevx2. Or just like me, to adopt virtualization approach, such as DeepFreeze, since you are a not so safe surfer. You could DO all the surfing in DF's frozen mode. After a while you will feel safe and gain lots of confidence. Good luck.

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Not a safe surfer? Then I HIGHLY recommend OnlineArmor -- the *swiss-army-knife* of security apps. It is a power HIPS plus...

* Keylogger Detection
    * Mail Filter
    * Web Filter
    * Spam Shield
    * Cookie Cutter
    * Trusted Sites
    * Untrusted Sites
    * Prevent Spyware
    * Remove Spyware
    * Settings Monitor
    * IE Extensions
    * DNS Checker
    * Hosts Checker
    * Firewall (optional & free)
    * Run as Limited User
    * Worm Protection
    * Termination Protection
    * Trojan Protection
    * Autoruns Management

Once OA's automatic configuration wizard is finished, pop-ups are rare and easy to understand. Has an excellent support forum. Highly recommended

8. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I had issues with various HIPS-proggies that I tried and couldn't find anything that "played nice" with my security set-up. Recently I read (here) about a small app., tried it out and it worked w/out conflict. ( http://www.donationcoders.com/kubicle/watcher/index.html ) If the other suggestions don't pan out, check out TinyWatcher. Not noob-friendly, but it's lightweight and non-intrusive.

9. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I would ditch Ad Muncher, install Online Armor, and use firefox with ad-block or ad-block plus plugin. That should be enough for the add blocking and for an easy to use HIPS. OA forum and Mike Nash are sure to help you out with any problems or issues that online armor may cause on your particular system.

dja2k

10. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I second this suggestion. You might try uninstalling everything and installing OA2 first then the rest of your 'suite'. It sounds like a pain in the butt, but I believe the install order might be important. Somebody would have to confirm that for me. Otherwise, you have a nice setup and you could wait for Comodo 3 release and then give it a least 2 weeks and keep an eye on their forums for problems ;). I hope this helps and good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.