Need an antirootkit live CD ASAP

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Gullible Jones, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, I've got an infected computer on my hands - Windows Vista, the user had UAC turned off and a rogue antivirus blew right through McAfee and Windows Defender. Between Kaspersky Rescue Disk, MBAM, and HJT I was able to remove most of it, but when I tried using a bunch of antirootkit tools many didn't work, leading me to think that there might be a rootkit infection remaining. But the only tool I was able to get working right - Trend Micro Rootkit Buster - didn't see anything.

So... I'd like to know if there are any antirootkit live CDs out there. I don't mean live antivirus stuff like Kaspersky or Avira, I mean live Linux distros with NTFS support and Windows-compatible antirootkit tools. Does anyone know of anything like that?

(If so please reply ASAP, I want to get this done before tomorrow.)

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

3. Tried that before as an AV live CD, it wouldn't recognize the monitor properly, and the CLI wouldn't start scanning even after 15 minutes, so I canned it. At any rate, it seems to be antivirus than antirootkit.

I'm thinking something more along the lines of e.g. Trinity Rescue Kit... Is there anything like that, only up to date?

4. linuxforall

5. THANK YOU!

Edit: err... last version was 2007. :/

6. linuxforall

7. And thank you. I wasn't aware Backtrack could be used for such purposes. :D

8. linuxforall

Yep, I remember using this on a heavily infected machine at the univ.

9. Alright I'm gonna need some help here. Backtrack as far as I can tell doesn't have any tools designed to deal with *Windows* rootkits built in. I tried running Gmer in Wine but it didn't work properly. Help?

10. linuxforall

11. Which tool? Rootkitty? It looks extremely primitive and not too useful.

Edit: And I don't have a working Windows install, so I can't create a UBCD4Win disk.

12. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Uumm: this might be too slow/not what youre looking for: install prevx free, scan and see what's there ??
    If you're really stuck, paid up prevx offers a guaranteed assisted removal service
    ??

13. Yeah, not what I'm looking for. I know PrevX is supposed to be good against rootkits, but any antirootkit scan on a compromised machine may have compromised results, which is why I'm looking to use a live CD. :)

Although, it looks as though Kaspersky has good rootkit detection, so I may be in the clear... I hope.

14. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

If you know what malwares you cleaned you can figure out what rootkits are mostlikely installed.

Linux Live CD doesn't have tools I am familiar with to look around.
    Best tool for what you want is UBCD4WIN. Includes Tiny Hexer which can be used to see the MBR, check for multi copies, Sinowal type. Also check the end of disk for data.
    Create the UBCD4WIN on a known clean system.

If GMER won't run try Radix, RKU or Root Repeal. Also, Combofix, dds.

15. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

16. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Try the DrWeb Livecd and the VBA32 Rescue cd, drweb is gui'd while vba32 rescue is not. Both work well in the rootkit detection IMO.

Hth

17. linuxforall

In that case the BitDefender CD with Knoppix should do equally well.

18. Durad

Durad Registered Member

I would stay away from Bitdefender, that software is full of bugs, at least it used to be..

Get Avira Live CD, its Linux based and works fine.

19. linuxforall

Well the new one is quite good and their Linux offering is actually excellent.

20. Well I wound up using Avira, which is supposed to have an ARK engine built in. At any rate, it found nothing. :D Thanks guys.

(BTW Avira Live CD is now able to do online updates.)

21. lotuseclat79

Hi Gullible Jones,

Do have the MS TechNet: Windows SysInternals tool, RootkitRevealer v1.71, in your toolkit arsenal?

-- Tom

22. Yup. And it wouldn't run on the machine in question. Still no idea why.

At any rate, Rootkit Revealer works from within the untrusted system, which makes its results... untrustworthy. No matter how good an ARK tool like that is, it won't be able to match the capabilities (in theory anyway) of one that runs from a live CD.

23. lotuseclat79

Hi Gullible Jones,

As the author of RootkitRevealer is quite tallented (MS bought him and his software + one colleague as I recall), it would probably be worth sending him your feedback in the hope that he can come up with a scheme to make it work from a live CD or flash drive.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.