Need advice on how to set the speeds on a homebuilt computer

Discussion in 'hardware' started by justenough, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justenough

justenough Registered Member

This the first computer I've built, and there are stability problems with it, with 1 or 2 freezes a day, sometimes more with certain tasks. It will pass the Prime95 small FFT test but not the Blend. I used recommended bios settings, but probably need to do a full clocking and testing. Can someone help me with it, or give me a link to someplace with clear instructions? Thank you.

AMD Phenom II x3 720 3200MHz
    Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P Motherboard
    4GB Mushkin 996657 RAM 1600 MHZ
    Radeon 4850 1GB RAM

edit: put in correct RAM number.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Isn't the blend test more ram intensive? :rolleyes:

So many things can be the cause.
    Whats the voltage of your processor and frequency?
    Whats the exact model of your ram?

3. justenough

Hi Noob,

Yes, the Blend test is RAM intensive.

I left a 6 out of the Mushkin RAM number, it is 996657 and is supposed to run at 1600.

The processor core voltage is 1.312V. Not sure about where to find the frequency. These are other numbers for it:
    multiplier: 16
    bus speed: 201.3 MHz
    HT link: 2013.6

Let me know if you need anything else. I probably need to find a good guide to overclocking and just test all my settings.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hmmm, if it only fails at the blend tests, the only things that comes to mind is faulty ram.

Is the ram having enough voltage? :)

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Also, try memtest86+ (Better ram stress testing)
    You will need to make a bootable disc.
    Also when testing with Memtest86+, it is recommended that you test 1 ram stick at a time, it's easier to know which one failed with this method, although you can test them all at the same time (Remove the other ones)

Also people usually recommend you to do a few loops to be sure.

6. justenough

The CPU frequency is 200.

I ran Memtest86+ and there were no errors. I'd already run Windows ram test without errors, so it looks like it isn't a RAM problem.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

What power supply you got?
    Maybe under high load it can't cope with your build?

You should check your ram voltage, power supply :)

8. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Check your temps. I use HWMonitor Run it while testing in Windows for max burn temps.

Unless you're overclocking you shouldn't need to overvoltage ram/cpu, etc.

Overclock.net is a good friendly forum to visit for help with voltages/seetings and so on, if overclocking/ or not.

9. doc77

doc77 Registered Member

I think you have really good advice here. I always think ram first, hard drive second, power supply third, incorrect or uninstalled drivers fourth, and temps. Regardless of ram tests I would still try each ram stick in each ram slot, maybe a bad stick, maybe a bad slot.

check out this windows 7 guide, it may have a stability test or some BIOS info that may help

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

10. justenough

Power supply is the Antec TruePower TP-550 550W, with a 670W battery backup, which never shows more than the minimal load with computer and monitor plugged in.

RAM voltage (DDR) appears to be 2.00V.

11. justenough

I have HWMonitor running now, thank you for telling me about it. The only overclock is a small bump to the multiplier, which the CPU is designed to handle (Phenom II x3 720 Black). Temperature shouldn't be a problem, the case (Antec 900) has lots of fans and one side panel is left off, and the CPU has the Xigmatek heat-pipe cooler. I've watched the temps under load and they never get high.

And thank you for telling me about Overclock.net. I will look there. I just ran AMD OverDrive stability test, and it said there was a 'recursive function call error' with the CPU. So maybe that's something I should test further.

12. justenough

Thanks for the link, I've just downloaded the Tweak Guide for 7, and am starting to wade through it.

It is interesting that you mentioned drivers, yesterday I realized it could be a simple software conflict somewhere, so I turned off the scheduled scans by MBAM and Hitman Pro, and will look for other auto tasks such as defragging and indexing. The freezes seem to be when doing particular things: watching a streaming Netflix movie, installing software, and using the browser like scrolling or clicking on a picture. I don't see the connection there, and the odd thing is that when an intensive game is loaded, such as X-Plane, it can run for hours without a freeze.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

So it was not hardware related?
    Oh boy :D

After troubleshooting so much :argh:

14. justenough

Still not sure, Noob, could be hardware or software. I'm trying everything I can think of.

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Just noticed your ram voltage is 1.85v to 1.95v (Try reducing it to those limits)

According to the official website of mushkin: Mushing 996657 :D

Usually it can tolerate a bit more, but it can also bring instability. :D

16. justenough

Nice catch, Noob. The DDR reading of 2.00 V is from CPUID, under Voltages. I assume that is the RAM reading. But that is odd, because in Bios I have it set to 1.85 or 1.90. I will have to lower it and see if that makes a difference.

I doubt that it will, because the memory is passing the MemTest86+ test from boot disk. But I can't get the computer to pass the Blend test in Prime95, even after hours of trying different bios settings. It also won't pass OCCT or the AMD Overdrive stability test. I think it must be my bios settings, or a defective motherboard or CPU.

17. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Revert it back to default, see if it will pass the tests.

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I guess it could be a faulty motherboard then?
    Try stress testing your CPU. :)
    I hate troubleshooting PC hardware for some reason (I'm talking about fixing all my relatives and friends PC for free o_O), hahahahaha so many variables and takes some time :D

19. justenough

Yes, I've put everything at stock settings. Still not passing Prime95.

20. justenough

Last night I tried setting everything to auto in bios. Boy was that a mistake. Had to flash the bios to get my computer back.

So many variables and so many pieces to the puzzle, it's a wonder the things work at all.

I will post at Overclock.net. I'll let you know if I get it sorted out. Thanks for the help.

21. justenough

Finally got it straightened out, it was just a matter of getting all the voltages right in bios. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.