Need a registry cleaner and system cleaner (free)

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by karll, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karll

karll Guest

Need some software for my pc, I am currently getting a list of programs (free) that can provide me with a good secure pc till I can upgrade my computer.

If you can list a couple programs that are good, please do.

Thanks.

2. DanL

DanL Registered Member

CC Cleaner (crap cleaner) is free and a popular cleaner on this forum.
    I don't have a link but try a search in the forum.

Dan

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I personally use RegTuneUp from AceLogix. It is one of the best ones I have ever used. It's free for 30 days.

RegTuneUp

4. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

regseeker has been recommended fairly highly on these forums.

5. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I use both Ace Utilities and RegSeeker. Ace Utilities is not free - 30-day demo is fully functional.

The registry cleaner in Ace Utilities emphasizes 'safety', and always returns many fewer deletion candidates than RegSeeker, RegClean, JV16, CrapCleaner, etc. It's about as 'foolproof' as you'll find. It has a great one-pass disk-cleanup wizard for registry, junk file, history and shortcut cleaning. Excellent program startup control, disk wipe, etc.

I use RegSeeker for deeper inspection of the registry and for it's registry-search function (Ace has no registry-search function).

Hope this helps!

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I second the motion on Ace Utilities. CCleaner is a superb, free second opinion.

By the way, my maiden aunt assures me that the first "C" in "CCLeaner" stands for "Cute." NOT that *other word* for pity's sake :eek:

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I'm another that will recommend this as well.

Cheers :D

9. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Another happy regseeker user here. I was using jv power tools (payware). However I discovered that regseeker worked just as good, and it's free.

10. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

I use Regseeker for the Registry and CCleaner to get rid of all the other garbage.

11. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I agree... RegSeeker is very good and considering it's free, it has to be one of the best around right now. I have not had any problems even after removing all it finds. It also features an exclusion list and I do have some entries in there... this one being quite important to be ignored on my WINME system.

2|SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\VarLDID.

If this is taken out, then it messes up the add/remove programs in control panel. Early versions of EasyCleaner would do this as well but I believe this has now been fixed. I never liked EasyCleaner that much anyway, but this is where personal preference will always play a part in software selection.

RegSeeker also has some other tools... the search files being quite useful, and the startups manager is also good. I usually let Spybot control my startups these days, but if you know for sure you don't want some in there then RegSeekers delete entry method works very well. Then there is the installed apps list which again is a nice touch. The histories and limited tweaks panel make up some more handy items which for a free program is pretty amazing.

Don't let the beta tag on this program concern you. It has been beta for ages and ages but has proved itself to be very safe. If you only need it for the registry cleaner alone then you should find it very acceptable.

However... can I just add this. I recently visited a very good friend of mine. We ran RegSeeker and it found over 700 entries on my friends laptop that has loads of installed programs and has had lots of uninstalls over the years. This showed up something to me that must therefore be mentioned regarding registry cleaning.

Be careful, as in a case like this, I would probably tick up just one registry section at a time to be checked, and then only take out entries that point to software that has absolutely been removed. Starting with the green first that usually point to non-existent paths etc. Then do the next sections the same etc. Then do the reds, making sure all programs still work ok for a few days or even weeks if in any doubt. Then any other leftover entries that you simply don't know what they are for can be tackled... possibly one at a time for extra safety. Make sure the make backups is ticked at all times, but note that you have to spend a bit of time sorting the backups as they don't get named for each individual entry removed. Even so... they are there if needed and you can even put back the lot and start again if you get in a mess. This makes registry cleaning more manageable and safer than the take all out in one go method, even though it may well be fine to do, it could cause problems on systems with hundreds of bad entries if care is not taken.

My point here is this. On my system... I now have no bad entries show up in RegSeeker. But on my friends system... I could not bring myself to remove all those hundreds of entries in one go... it was just too dangerous and there was no good reason, as even a bloated registry will not stop Windows from working... just slow it down a bit. But the trouble that can be caused to an otherwise slow but working registry simply is not worth the dangers.

There are some experienced users that actually never bother with registry cleaning saying the returns are not worth the hassle. They would rather do a fresh Windows install every year or so. But for me... I just love seeing a fully clean and compacted registry, compacting being another topic, on my machine.

12. deaddybear

deaddybear Registered Member

Ace Utilities is really, really good. Free registry cleaners just have their limitations (hey, who likes working for free). I got my copy of Ace Utilities electonically (download) and got a nice deal for it too. This is the address of a place I got it from <snip>

edited to remove spam - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2005
  13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

<snip> is a great link! 10Q

edited to remove inadvertent reference to removed advertisement in previous post - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2005
  14. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Just a note to add that registered users of Ace Utilities are entitled to free download of Ace's Registry Compactor. It'll run under your current license.

Visit the Acelogix site for details: http://www.acelogix.com/forum/

It's safe - I've used it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.