Need a good password filler for firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by raakii, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I getting annoyed with default password filler for firefox.I need a password filler like"wand" of opera.I donot need standalone programs like roboform,that needs to be installed seperately.I have already tried securelogin ,doesnt work for me .It does not save password at all.I am using lastpass now,but i need to know whether it is safe or not?Can anyone solve my problem.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

How many ways/times are browsers under attack? IMO, any password program that's actually part of the browser is a much greater security risk than something separate like Roboform or free KeePass. I always recommend that users NEVER use the browser to fill in passwords. If I load FF on a PC for someone, one of the first things I do is turn the password feature off...

3. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I dont save high risk password.Attacker may not get anything by taking my password.So,leave the risk factor apart.I need it to be fairly safely,thats enough for me.

4. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

5. raakii

raakii Registered Member

6. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

That's nothing to do with the addon, sites like Yahoo, Paypal, banks etc force browsers not to remember passwords for obvious reasons.

So if you go to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components\ and open up nsLoginManager.js

Scroll down to line 809 (i'm looking at FF 3.5.2) and comment out these 3 lines:

Code:
    //  if (element && element.hasAttribute("autocomplete") &&
    //   element.getAttribute("autocomplete").toLowerCase() == "off")
    //   return true;
    Just place a double forward slash in front of them like above. Restart Firefox and now you can save all your highly secure banking passwords directly in your browser lol. :D

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I let FF fill in passwords for things like this forum, but anything with data involved I don't. I use a password app that generates 10 character passwords. ;)

8. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Excellent.:thumb:

9. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

No worries, just to note when Firefox upgrades that JS file will be overwritten and that commented section will be reverted to normal. However once you force your SSL passwords to be saved, they will stay in the FF password manager indefinitely so it's rare you will need to go back and override it again.

10. raakii

raakii Registered Member

New error with firefox portable problem :I cannot run a saved html file associated with the portable app.there is problem of multiple instances not able to run ,didnt have it with firefox portable 3.0.11.

Can u anyone solve this ?Firefox portable 3.5 cannt open multiple instances at allo_O

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

raakii, in order to run multiple instances of FF Portable, I believe you need to tweak the FirefoxPortable.ini file in the FirefoxPortable/Other/Source folder. Change AllowMultipleInstances=false to true. I remember reading this somewhere but can't find it now. Try it and report back.

12. raakii

raakii Registered Member

That doesnt work with firefox 3.5, worked with earlier version I always allowed MultipleInstances. I have dumped the portable from portableapps, i have created my own portable using sandboxie,hence no problems now

13. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Is there any way to prevent username being displayed when we double click the login form as in operao_O

14. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I use Secure Login and it works flawlessly with Yahoo!

This is what I do. I created a bookmark with the below javascript code in the Location field and name it Remember Password. Then on sites such as Yahoo! select that bookmark first before logging in. When it runs it will display a dialog box that tells you the results. It does a similar thing as raakii's solution but has the advantage of not being over written when Fx is updated. Some sites use different methods so it does not always work; however, it does work with Yahoo!; at least for me.
    Code:
    javascript:(function(){var%20ca,cea,cs,df,dfe,i,j,x,y;function%20n(i,what){return%20i+%22%20%22+what+((i==1)?%22%22:%22s%22)}ca=cea=cs=0;df=document.forms;for(i=0;i<df.length;++i){x=df[i];dfe=x.elements;if(x.onsubmit){x.onsubmit=%22%22;++cs;}if(x.attributes[%22autocomplete%22]){x.attributes[%22autocomplete%22].value=%22on%22;++ca;}for(j=0;j<dfe.length;++j){y=dfe[j];if(y.attributes[%22autocomplete%22]){y.attributes[%22autocomplete%22].value=%22on%22;++cea;}}}alert(%22Removed%20autocomplete=off%20from%20%22+n(ca,%22form%22)+%22%20and%20from%20%22+n(cea,%22form%20element%22)+%22,%20and%20removed%20onsubmit%20from%20%22+n(cs,%22form%22)+%22.%20After%20you%20type%20your%20password%20and%20submit%20the%20form,%20the%20browser%20will%20offer%20to%20remember%20your%20password.%22)})();
    This is an example of using that bookmark on a Yahoo Log in page.
    Note: I did not create this bookmarklet. I found it years ago as a solution to saving log ins and have been using it ever since.

15. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I use LastPass, works on IE,FF and from web

16. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Secure login and bookmarklet works fine i want to prevent the username and password being displayed when i double click the login form as in opera.Is it possible ?

Attached Files:

• unt.jpg
      unt.jpg
      File size:
      14 KB
      Views:
  17. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

It works, but you must move the the .ini file to the Firefox Portable root directory like my screenshot. So.. go in to /FirefoxPortable/Other/Source and grab FirefoxPortable.ini and copy it to /FirefoxPortable/

Then change the following to: AllowMultipleInstances=true

firefoxportable.png

Yes but no, i extracted the .jar file from my profile out of curiosity and it would be possible to add a hidden value "but" there's 2 issues. It would break when updated, plus after the edit all the files would need to be compiled as a single .jar again and you wouldn't be able to read it. It's not wise to accept modified password managers from random people on the net.

It's best to submit a feature request to the author.

18. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I can not agree with this.
    Here is a test and methodology:
    http://www.info-svc.com/news/2008/12-12/

19. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Looks like a nice test and I'm sure represents a lot of work. I cannot or will not challenge it methods, results or interpretations for what the author was trying to accomplish. But respectfully, I stand by my original statement.

Just go to nirsoft.net and look over IEPassView or PasswordFox. This is the basis of my thoughts. Used with a reasonable amount of common sense, RoboForm or KeePass cannot be broken like the browsers. Unless I am grossly misunderstanding something :blink: , no amount of common sense can protect the browser password storage.

20. Creer

Creer Registered Member

My fault - I just misread your previous post. I thought that you said that wand's which are implemented in browsers are better than separate pass managers :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.