nav2003 vs nod 32 and kav

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by the mul, Aug 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the mul

the mul Registered Member

My subscription for nav2003 is due and i was looking at kav pro or nod 32.
    Can u tell me does nav offer as much protection as nod or kav or is there areas that nav is lacking behind in.?
    I have read many threads on both of these programmes and it seems to be down to what u prefer or is compatable with your system.
    I dont know whether to stay with nav or try one of the other programmes out.I have had know problems with nav but i am always like everybody else trying to find the best protection that u can.
    Just to let u know i am running tds 3 and port explorer as well as all javacool programmes.
    Thanks
    The mul

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Exactly. Despite the fact that some in this forum will tell you one is better than the other two, all three are among the best and any of these excellent programs will protect your system. Good luck.

3. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:D will nod would be the best one but its only hang up is it dont get along with other anti viruse software that is a major flaw

since most of us always carry a back up

id go with nav or kav untill nod guys make there software more compadiable

i hate hearing stuff like why fix it are product is the only one you will ever need

if nod was more compadiable id switch

remember its the consumers peace of mind that counts

we love freedom of choice and if we choose to have two avs we should be able to

primary and back up

4. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Thanks for your help i think i will stay with nav for awhile yet.

Thanks

The Mul

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Blaze,

Many antiviruses do come with a standard warning in case another antivirus has been installed already - Dr.Web to name just one. This isn't a flaw: by design an install can cause conflicts.

FYI: on this test engine NOD32 is running happily, having Dr.Web, KAV and some others installed (not resident running) as well. Of course: trying to do the same is your risk only ;)

regards.

paul

6. minacross

minacross Registered Member

7. Mr.Blaze

:doubt: are you sure cause the nod crew told me last time the jest that all i need is nod and that it dont play well with others type thing

but nod was the only one ill ever need

so why have two av's?

i like the ideal of backup av

at least that was my imprestion.

nod is the best but i dont like puting all my eggs in one basket.

i dont know just my personal prefence

8. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Blaze,

as I stated above:

thus, what works for me on this system, would not necessarily work on yours. You can give it a try (after backing up your system), or refrain from doing so.

regards.

paul

9. AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster Registered Member

;) Hello Mr. Blaze...
    - There are many different perspectives on AV setup and the best way to do it - let me add one more.

- All AV vendors have their own specific way of attacking the problem. Some are a bit more invasive on the system and some a little less.
    - "Always good to have a backup" is something I know you've heard before. I setup mine with NAV running under W98, but I can disable it and run the free DOS version of F-Prot for a full scan just to keep the Symantec people honest (maybe they miss things sometimes that the F-Prot folks get first, things like that).
    - Some have setup their PC with 2 AV's running at the same time...although I wouldn't recommend that, since they both will vie for the same system resources at times.
    - I have a dual-boot system w/W98 and W2K; on the W2K side, I currently use NAV2002, but I will soon dump that in favor of NOD32, because it appears to me that NAV2002 is too invasive, adds alot to boot-up time, and eats up system resources like I had a 4GHZ processor, which I don't. I didn't like it when Symantec bumped up the price of their annual subscription from 10 to 25 bucks a year, either, so I started looking for alternatives (-always- keep looking for alternatives). I will still use F-Prot for my backup AV full scans.
    - There is alot of flexibility available, and I tell people the best thing to do is: Whatever works best for you...

Best regards,

10. marti

marti Registered Member

Blaze,

NOD32 does play well with some AV's. However, you should not run out and start experimenting without understanding the setup steps.

One AV must be set as primary and load at startup. The other AV is on-demand only and you don't want it to run at startup. That said, some AV combinations will not work at all (for most people) and some AV combinations may only work on some systems.

My advise is "if you don't know how to run two AV's on a system, then maybe you shouldn't be messing with it." :D :D :D

11. Mr.Blaze

i dont think so otherwise how ami supose to learn lol

i learn alot here at wilders more then you might think

this forum is loaded with so much info it aint funny its like a security paridise

i also learn threw trial and error at at times it can be expensive cost but i will always lern more from it

my budy jan always experiments on his pc montering changes on his pc to see how stuff works and what its really doing

i do similar stuff to find the easyest to use software

if i learnd anything here it is this

always have a back up

12. marti

marti Registered Member

Blaze,

I know that you read a lot of threads on this forum. However, I am again suggesting that you be very cautious when trying to use two AV's.

13. minacross

minacross Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.