NAV2003 bloatware removed - advice on next move plz!

Discussion in 'NOD32 Early v2 Beta' started by Fedorov999, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

How stable is NOD32 beta under XP? - NAV2003 bloatware I've now removed from my machine, I've used and trusted NAV for as long as I remember and throughout my IT career at work on all machines...

The time has come to start testing some of the newer breed of AV products that aren't as bloated and just do what they are supposed to do, not start messing with my Recycle bin like NAV does and put 3 or 4 items in my registry startup.

I've cleaned NAV entirely from my machine, including all Symantec registry entries.

My list of candidates are:

NOD32 v2
    RAV
    Avast4 Pro
    Dr.Web

I look forward to all your opinions..... now which one should I try first :)

Fedorov.

2. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Well, as you posted this in the Nod forums I believe you already know your first choice to try out ;)
    Try the evaluation and see what you think, I run it on XP Pro and its practically invisible (AMD 750, 450 meg ram) it just pops up and lets you know when something is amiss. Very stable and no slow down at all.
    Give it a try, similar results with DrWeb, try them both (one at a time) and see which suits you best. :)

3. Fedorov999

Okay, I've got the NOD32 beta on :)

How do I get a username/password to get the latest updates - naturally I'm a trial user, not going to purchase till I've had chance to test it but can't test it fully without proper def updates :(

I've turned Imon and Nms off, I use Pocomail, have never used the email scanning of NAV, never need to, if there is an attachment on an email, as it gets written to my pocomail attachments folder the resident Amon will detect it no doubt same as NAV has done for years.

Looks good so far, although I did request during Advanced install NOT to use IMON and NMS yet I still had to disable them via ControlCenter after installationo_O

Fedorov.

4. Fedorov999

Thanks for the trial user/pass Rodzilla,

I've now tested my list of candidates and Nod32 is the winner :)

AvantPro4 - mem usage was huge
    Dr.Web - not too sure, interface a bit too basic, mem usage seemed good.
    RAV - Best of the rest, no problems, I just have more confidence that NOD32 v2 is going to be really good once some of the beta issues are sorted.

Fedorov.

5. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Fedorov,

I don't wanna argue with you, but I can't miss the chance to tell you that avast doesn't really consume as much memory as you think. You appearently use the 'Mem Usage' columm in Task Manager as your clue, but as I already pointed out in my previous postings (see, e.g., http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5606;start=45 ), the values in this column are really not what they pretend to be...

Jeez, do we really have to modify the program to make Task Manager think that the 'MemUsage' should be lower? I'd hate to do that, but maybe it wouldn't be so superfluous... o_O

Vlk

6. Fedorov999

Thanks for clarifying that Vlk, and I have to say your product had one of the better interfaces than the others I evaluated yesterday and is certainly one I will check out again.

One thing that will always sway me to one product more than another is where there are Forums such as this one, specifically NOD32 support.

Another good example would be Agnitum's Outpost firewall which has a fantastic forum/userbase.

It certainly helps having popular forums where all users of the product can come discuss things.

Regards,

Fedorov.

7. Tinribs

Maybe Vlk could be persuaded to act as a representitive and 'tech support' for Avast? ;)

8. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Just for the record: we do have a policy hosting just one dedicated software forum for specific security software. Thus, we do host only one dedicated Official Firewall forum (LooknStop), antitrojan forum (TDS) and subsequently antivirus forum - Eset/NOD32. All top notch security software. One of the reasons for doing so is a simple one: avoiding conflicts of interests.

On the other hand, overall discussion concerning other sortalike software is permitted - on the forums specificly created for that reason: "Other..."etc. That being said, those "other" forums are not intented to turn into sort of an unofficial support forum for software company X, Y or Z. in the end. We encourage other software companies to create their own dedicated forum instead - and post the relevant URL on the forum concerned.

For the record: the statement above is in no way intended to qualify or disqualify other security software, not having a dedicated forum over here. Merely pointing out our policy over here ;).

regards.

paul

9. Tinribs

Ok Paul, point taken :)

10. controler

controler Guest

Then riddle me this.

Why did my NEW Intel D845PESV motherboard ship with an Intel install CD with Norton Internet Security on it?
    I am still scratching my head here wondering why they didn't include some other form of software.

Be honest now

11. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

This isn't a topic related to this dedicated forum - please open a new thread on the relevant forum.

I'm trying to ;).

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.