Naughty registry editor?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MacQibble, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacQibble

MacQibble Registered Member

Privatefirewall just popped up to tell me Registrar Registry Editor (www.resplendence.com freebie) wanted on line via Avast Antivirus !

I blocked it and it just kept trying. I wasn't even using the thing.

Thing is, if it had asked me politely I wouldn't have given it another thought. Now, on principle, I'm killing it. Biting off my nose I know ...seemed like a good free editor.

Anyone know why a registry editor wants to act this way?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you check under preferences if it is trying to check for an update or some other options that require net access?

Cudni

3. MacQibble

MacQibble Registered Member

"...did you check under preferences if it is trying to check for an update..."

Only installed it yesterday Cudni - registered it, downloaded latest version far as i remember. Hadn't got round to using it but it looked useful to have.

I didn't check its settings because it didn't just come out and ask for access.

Couldn't understand why it would want to sit on the back of Avast. It had its own filter for permission in PFW. Anyways, it's gone now. You have to make a stand ...

Cheers

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

5. jackmccoy

jackmccoy Registered Member

FWIW (and not making any accusations) but there's an evil version of RR floating around the warez world so...

In any event (for those considering it) Registrar is a *terrific* program AND they have a freeware lite version that does almost all of what their paid version does. Personally, I've never had any alert from PF about RRLite trying to phone home (or elsewhere). As to WHY I'm using RRLite now and am familiar with this issue? Perhaps I'm just well read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.