Native windows API hooked by ProcessGuard

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Xmen, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xmen

Xmen Guest

which Native APIs should be hooked by ProcessGuard?

The reason I'm asking is that I used to test several security software that might fight for the same things, I uninstalled most of them , but i'm afraid the ones I settled on in the end, might have somehow got damaged.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2005
  2. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Simply because two programs may watch over the same native functions doesn't necessarily imply there'll be problems - hooked functions can themselves be hooked. You seem to be worrying about something that might happen rather than something which is happening.

Damaged how? Any changes made by such security programs are made in memory only, not on disk. In other words, even if two programs don't get on well together in memory, it doesn't exactly cause any "damage" - just an incompatibility preventing both programs from being used at the same time, which more often than not is completely harmless.

Best regards,
    Wayne

3. :::-:::

:::-::: Guest

Wayne:

Is it a secret which functions are hooked? (You do not directly answer the question.)

Would you mind if I posted the functions which I believe to be hooked?

4. xmen<

xmen< Guest

I doubt it's a secret, it's just that we lowly users don't really need to know the such technical details!

5. :::-:::

:::-::: Guest

I think it makes sense to know which API functions are hooked. For example, this allows you to compare competing products ...

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You have to be joking. Nine out ten people barely can use the security software, and don't have a clue what API functions or hooks are. This just isn't a question that any software developer is going to take seriously. The main issue in terms of competing products, is do they work as advertised, and do they work on your machine. Thats why so many offer trials.

7. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

This is a help & support forum, it is not a place to discuss the inner workings of software, and unless you're reverse engineering the software such information is of no use to you or anyone else here, and as Peter said, if you're worried about any possible conflicts then feel free to download and use the free trial versions that we have available. Thankyou for your co-operation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.