Nasa hacker loses final legal challenge

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Searching_ _ _, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

2. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Hard to even form an opinion.
    60 years!

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Either way you look at it did he not think there would be serious consequences to hacking Defense Department computers.

While 60 years might be extreme, there needs to be a clear message, that if you do this, the consequences will be quite unpleasant.

While I would suspect there is some form of mental illness involved, if you let him go based on that, then the door is wide open. Tough call.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

In my opinion if you hack into a secured government or any "secure" system you deserve what you get simply because he knew it was illegal before he started. Why should he be given any special treatment, he was sane enough to know he hacked into a secure system.

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You're both right. I guess i'm amazed with the jail time.
    60 years! :eek:
    It's a whole life, and you're saying "we're giving up on you, your life is over".

I know nothing is black and white in these things. Which is why i say i can't form an opinion.
    1-It was really wrong to do that.
    2-60! Years!

7. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Think so.
    Agree.
    Yes crazy nevertheless I wonder that his country delivers him to the states.

8. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

If life were a movie, NASA would hire him... :rolleyes:

C'mon he knew and did it anyway... so they are setting an example, prob.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hmm, well, I guess call me guilty of playing devils advocate, but (and I have not seen any of his other statements beyond his claim of looking for UFO evidence), to call him mentally defective for looking for UFO evidence is a little too judging. Before you wonder why, consider the fact that NASA themselves have the SETI project, which looks for signs of alien life also. Do I myself believe in little green men? No, but have I seen things I can't figure out? Yep, and I don't seem to be nuts. Before I meander off track though, again, keep in mind UFO research is done by a lot more people than just backwoods good ol' boys. Real scientists do this every day.

Now, all that said, this 60 years business. I personally think it's a GREAT sentence. Look, there's enough problems in the world of people getting smacked on the hand for worse crimes than this, and frankly, I'm glad to see some judge and jury not back down and "baby" a criminal. He hacked into computers that not only threatened science and research, but also very possibly national security. He got a punishment that fit with the crime, and that's a rarity these days. I'd be open to a parole hearing, but only after half of the full sentence is served.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.