Mysterious "thumbs.db"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I fear what I don't understand, which pretty much means I'm terrified of computers! Take a look at this:

Looking closely we see that one class of "thumbs.db" is not shaded like a system file. This was found using search. I cannot, however, locate the files.

There is yet a third variety of "thumbs.db" that seems to be associated with images in an htm document (I think).

The most mysterious to me are the two in the middle. Any theories?

-HandsOff

Attached Files:

2. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

they are small system image caches
    you can get rid of them if you like

http://www.pchell.com/support/thumbsdb.shtml

there are a few hidden possibilities, of course after you can view hidden files
    (windows explorer > folder options > view tab > show hidden files and folders)
    try creating a hidden directory (properties>attributes>check hidden) and adding a few image files to it, then view it as thumbnails

bet they match your search results

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I've never had a use for the thumbs.db files. So I do not allow them to be created on my PCs. See screen capture of what the box looks like to kill them. (Noted in the link above.)

Attached Files:

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I don't like the principal of anyone other than me hiding files on my computer. I don't even hide any. I encrypt them. Still, I should know how it works, so I appreciate the info.

I usually don't cache them either. I was actually doing a search and delete to make sure there were none left on the drive. There were only a few. BTW, checking do not cache thumbnails does not remove the ones that were already in place (if any). I suppose that could be beneficial, if they are still being read. You might want to search and see how many might be around.

-HandsOff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.