MYFreeAntivirus 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by thanhtai2009, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

why it's free i didn't find anything indicate that it's free

anyway the name seem suspicious enough for me to say no to this product

2. DX2

DX2 Guest

It is free, for 1 year. You get a license to go with it, so yeah, it's free...

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

You are going to avoid a product based on the name? This is basically a renamed version of Bitdefender, so it clearly is legitimate.

Also, it has been confirmed in this thread that it is free - you just have to regsiter to get your free licence.

4. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I originally saved the installer to my USB thumb drive. I tried to get another license using the same machine as I did before, but with a different email address, name and phone number. I also can't remove the retail box charge either. They want "Subtotal 2.99 GBP" (they default me to the UK) and a credit card.

Maybe a different machine in my house will have different results, I will try later.

5. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I just tried to get a copy from my wife's machine, using her name, email and yet, another phone number, and I can't remove the $4.99 retail box shipping fee.................Something has most definitely changed since the night I downloaded it.

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I've confirmed. Game over. Back to Roboscan.

"
    Please read this carefully - As we always strive to deliver the best service as possible, all our customers can now receive a FULL RETAIL BOX via post, and we will only charge them with the actual shipment cost... not a cent more!
    90% Discount - We have added some of our award winning products and services to the cart... with an amazing 90% discount.
    (if there are products that you don’t want, simply remove them)
    "

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  7. DBone

DBone Registered Member

You were on my wife's machine too? :D I have reimaged again, and am back to MSE. I consider Sandboxie Paid as my main weapon against web threats, so I don't want a full blown suite, plus MSE seems to run the smoothest of any AV on my W7 x64 machine.

It was nice while it lasted MYFreeAntivirus 2012 :'(

8. roger_m

Yes, no longer free - verified by visiting both the UK and US pages.

However US $4.99 is next to nothing, so if I wasn't already a happy Roboscan user I would have no issue with paying that.

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Sure $5 isn't a lot of money. On the other hand, in the past few months, I have been able to get licenses for the real Bitdefender IS and AV from Newegg for free and $5. So if I wanted to buy BD, I would just get the real program, and skip this shady company.

10. marciocruz

marciocruz Registered Member

here h**p://www.mysecuritycenter.com/products/my-free-antivirus

is free,for 1 user,like you can see on the website :)

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

and did you try checking out?

12. roger_m

It was free till very recently, but not anymore. When go to checkout, you are now charged for a retail box, and there is no way around that.

13. marciocruz

marciocruz Registered Member

yes,all you have to do is at paymente details,remove everyting from the list,and left only myfreeantivirus,

the 4.99 is for the: Software Installation Service Read more
    We uninstall any old security software you might have and ensure our product has been installed correctly 1 12 months 1 4.99 USD

look at the email:

Your order details: 2012-08-02 01:44:49
    Qty Product Subscription Term License Key Unit Price
    1 MYFreeAntivirus 2012 - 1 User 12 Months 0.00 EUR
    Total:
    (This is inclusive of VAT at the current rate of 20%) 0.00 EUR
    Order status: Paid
    Order reference: ON34390
    Your payment details:
    Payment method: Free

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  14. roger_m

You can only delete the retail box from the cart if you have another paid option in the cart (all the other options cost more than the retail box).

15. thanhtai2009

thanhtai2009 Registered Member

I've confirmed, too, It's no longer free. Bye MFA :thumbd:

16. paniccom

paniccom Registered Member

Also confirmed. When I got this far yesterday, after awhile I removed the 0.00 USD amount (which was already confusing, because you really wanted to remove the 4.99 USD amount which had no garbage can next to it) and the price became $0.00 total. Today the total remains 4.99, unchangeable. Are they scanning IP address of users to make sure they are limited to one download? Then they would know you're downloading a second copy even if you used another PC on same connection, wouldn't they?

But what a ridiculous system--what if you deleted the emails they sent and just wanted to do a reinstall for some reason?

Untitled.jpg

17. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

same for me. not free anymore. bunch of bs if you ask me. good riddance

18. roger_m

No, they've just made changes so that everyone has to pay.

That's why it's a good idea not to delete such emails.

I fail to see what the big deal about paying $5 for antivirus software is. It costs $59.95 for a year licence for Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013, or $29.95 for Auslogics antivirus (which also is a licenced copy of Bitdefender).

Considering MYFreeAntivirus offers basically the same interface and protection for a fraction of the cost, I think it's a very good deal. If they stopped the auto quarrantining of threats, and wasn't already a paid user of Roboscan I would buy it.

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

because its supposed to be free. regardless of the 5$. its called myFREEantivirus

20. paniccom

paniccom Registered Member

I second that.

21. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Yeah, seriously. It's in the ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ title of the program! lol

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
  22. roger_m

Yes that's true, but for $5 I hardly think it's worth complaining about. There are plenty of free antivirus softwares out there to choose from if you don't want to pay $5.

Personally the price is a non issue for me, but following claims from their homepage are:

I really don't like exaggerated claims like those ones.

23. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

OK guyz, lots of the post about the retail box with shipping cost option cannot be removed & I too mentioned it.

I too had tried & cannot remove the option so cancelled it & posted here about it.

But when I checked the email I had recieved their email with activation. When I activated & logged in MyAccount & clicked the email received, there I had received the installation files & licence.

I tried another time with different email add & the same above thing & got installer & licence.

So I guess you guyz too may have recieved the installer & licence even though the registration was cancelled mid-way i.e cannot remove retail box option.

Check your emails & reply here.

24. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Heyy,

The info was there from the very start.

25. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.