My thoughts about AntiVir vs. other anti-virus programs

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by stalker, Nov 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thanks for responding, but I can't say I am happy with it. AVG last choice the worst of the three. Why on earth would I want to substitute the Avira FW suite in place of my OutPost Pro :mad: .

Suites! Suites! Let me build my own Suite. :p :p

AVAST may be my next AV. :rolleyes:

2. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Currently you can install all of AntiVir's components seperately, it's pretty likely they'll do that with the firewall as well...

3. canadian

canadian Registered Member

Hi everyone...this may not be the right spot to post this. If it isn't could someone please direct me to the correct place?

I have been reading this forum for a while trying to see what are the most talked about av and firewall programs.

I was using PC-cillin, but decided to switch to Anti-Vir because of what I've been reading here. I'm happy with that decision as things stand now. I do have a question or two that I'd like to ask tho.

First of all, when I ran the scan with Anti-vir (the free edition) I had 27 *warnings* which, apparently, were issued because there were files that weren't opened during the scan, and so they weren't scanned. My question is this...if I purchase the Premium edition, will that open these files that weren't opened with the *free* edition? Also, I don't think the boot sector is scanned with the free edition...it looks like the *Premium* edition needs to be purchased...am I correct in saying that?

I saw that they charge in Euros...I live in the US...am I able to purchase this program? How much does 20 Euros equate to in US dollars? Kaspersky wanted $50 which is just way too much in my opinion.

Thanks,
    Jerry

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

See the link for curency conversion. Can't help with the rest as I use NOD32. http://xe.com/

5. DaveD

DaveD Guest

Any antivirus program reports a certain amount of files that cannot be scanned. Examples are password protected archives, Windows paging file, etc. So to answer that question, it still would not scan those files if you paid for the Premium version. You need not worry about those at all.

The free edition does scan boot sectors as well. Right-click on the AntiVir icon and click on Start AntiVir. Then go to Extras at the top menu and select Boot records scan...

6. canadian

canadian Registered Member

Ok...Thanks a lot Dave. :) And thank you Hammer...it comes out to $25.44 if I did it right. :)

Thanks,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.