My spyware Guard does not...

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by hoho, Nov 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoho

hoho Registered Member

work for me? Like It works when I change my internet browers thing it comes up with an alert. But when I tryed to dl kazza media player what has spyware nothing happened and my spyware guard was on.Then I installed it on my computer. I also check with my spysweeper to check if it had any new spyware found on my computer and it did. So why did the spyware guard not catch it.

2. hoho

hoho Registered Member

Heck I just dled Imesh what said it had stuff what can track your surfing habbits and that stuff. What sounds like spyware to be and I had it spyguard on and no warning.I even click on it to go to the install menu of the program still nothing. I Have it on alert and prompt and I have all the updates.

3. hoho

hoho Registered Member

can someone plz help me get it too work.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Okay, let's just reconfirm the exact situation...

First, when you boot you do get the red SG icon in the systray, correct? When you right click on it and check the settings, all three options are selected (enabled) right? Further, when you've tested the browser hijacker component by manually changing your IE home page, I believe you said you do get the proper alert. Finally, can you check in the task manager to see if you have the two SG tasks running (Sgmain & Sgbhp)?

If all that is true and the processes are there then SG is certainly running. But, you've said that the different software you've tried to install that you think has spyware in it, do not alert you when you run them, is that right?

5. hoho

hoho Registered Member

Ya I think those things are running(you mean windows task menu?). And yes I did try stuff what I know have spyware in it Imesh,Kazza media player.

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Imesh and KaZaA (plus various other file-sharing programs) do indeed install various adware/spyware (most of it tends to be adware these days, with the big exception of Grokster the last time I checked, which installed all kinds of unwanted stuff). SpywareGuard's real-time detection focuses on catching things like Lop.com, browser hijackers, and dialers - I've tried to add the most malicious/annoying stuff to the detection first.

Detecting the KaZaA installer as adware or the Imesh installer as adware would be misleading - neither installer itself is adware. Both however, do install extra programs. I've tried to keep increasing the number of generally malicious spyware/adware/browser hijacker/dialer items that SpywareGuard detects with its real-time scanning, but those little "value-added" ( ;) ) programs that KaZaA and Imesh install are currently not included. (However if they ever try to alter your browser settings, you will be notified via SpywareGuard's general browser hijacking protection.)

I'll take a look at the latest versions of KaZaA and iMesh soon. In the meantime, a list of all the baddies that SpywareGuard should currently detect via its real-time scanning is available here: http://www.wilderssecurity.net/sglist.html - Hopefull that will help answer any further questions. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.