My sister's laptop difficulties

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Detox, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

My sister is here at my house and I'm having her type her question/problem here because I sure can't answer it :blink:

o_O
    Working with IBM Thinkpad T23. Have two HDs, both on Windows 2000. Primary is a used 30G and secondary (in ultrabay) is new 80G. Computer has a tendency to reassign the drives during reboot (ultrabay to C on C and primary to C on D) which confuses adapters, drivers, etc. The real oddity is that neither drive will boot on its own now.

I need to move all data to the 30G drive and re-image the 80G drive. However, deskside will only re-image with Windows XP. Will I be able to utilize the 30G drive as a secondary HD in the ultrabay after re-image? I'm afraid this won't be possible due to differing platforms.

More background/details:
    Had primary HD failure in June and ordered replacement drive through NERP (Ntl Emrgncy Replacement Program). Since the body of the T23 may have been part cause of the HD failure, they sent a loaner Thinkpad (T21) with which to set up the new drive. When it was time for the T21 to be returned, found that the new drive won't boot right on the T23.

Ethernet adapter has uninstalled itself so I'm using a PCI and donkle for connectivity at the office. For home - ATT Network client won't connect, give the "blue screen" mem dump crash. System standby also causes same.

Thanks much for any input or shared experiences you may have had with a situation like this. I'm hesitant to change anything since I'm technically "working" though certainly not at the level I want to be at.

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I know that it is T23, but what is the model number? That will help in looking up the documentation and specs for this machine. Here is how to find it:

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/findpn.html

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I emailed her a link to this thread (she was only at my place for a few hours) so hopefully she will find the model number and post back soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.