my Security Setup

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Francis93, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francis93

Francis93 Registered Member

Hi, I'm new to Wilders Security Forums. I would need your opinions on my current security setup:

Backup (if all else fails, my Super last resort)

- Acronis True Image Home 2011

Primary Protection (e.g. on-access scanners, real-time protection, etc.)
    - avast! Internet Security 5.1.899
    - WinPatrol PLUS

Secondary Protection (e.g. on-demand scanners, second opinion protection etc.)
    - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    - Hitman Pro
    - SUPERAntiSpyware
    - Spywareblaster
    - Trojan Remover

Tertiary Protection
    - UAC Max (password required)
    - SRP (Disallowed)
    - DEP (AlwaysOn)
    - SEHOP (Application OptIn)
    - EMET (Maximum Security Settings)
    - VirusTotal Uploader
    - Web of Trust (FF/Chrome)
    - AdBlock (FF/Chrome)
    - NoScript (FF/Chrome)
    - CCleaner
    - Ghostery
    - Better Privacy

What can you say:

Should I add more to my primary/secondary/tertiary protection?

Should I dump some programs?

Am I covered? Is my primary/secondary/tertiary protection enough or just overkill?

THANK YOU

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

you are ready:thumb:
    by the way wellcome to wilders:thumb:

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

IMO, you have too many On Demand scanners, although they don't affect computer performance, it seems to be too much.
    I would recommend removing Spyware Blaster, Super Anti Spyware, Trojan Remover. (Norton Power eraser isn't recommended as an everyday scanner according to Norton, because it's too aggressive it can damage your OS if not used correctly)

By the way SRP as unrestricted is the same as not on. (If you turn it on, you will have to learn some basic things to use it ;))

About your browser addons, i would remove BitDefender just for better browsing experience. (You already have enough scanners in your setup).
    WOT, NoScript, AdBlock are all fine.

Overall protection you are very balanced and should be enough.
    You have a nice suite + system changes watcher (Winpatrol)
    And some nice On Demand backups.

That's all i can say because i know nothing about ghostery and better privacy :rolleyes:

4. Francis93

Huh? Really? Thanks jmonge! :D

5. Francis93

I'll just remove NPE then. I'm only using a single PC. Should I enable SRP? Any tips?

I can't live without SAS, Spywareblaster. On Trojan Remover, hmmm lemme think about it. I can't live without BitDefender too.

Thanks

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

BitDenfender is an overkill since you already have some nice tools already. (Hitman Pro, Avast!)
    Other On Demand scanners are your choice, so if you want to keep them no worries ;)

If you want to enable SRP (Which works like an executable lock down), follow this guide SRP Guide, It's a very good guide, and if you follow it correctly, you will have some very very good prevention there :D
    Good luck mate, and welcome to Wilders ;)

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

@ francis:

from your list you don't seem to have a backup or imaging solution.

that should be at the very top of your list, way ahead of all those AV/AM/tweaks/plugins/etc apps.

8. Francis93

Ok, I have uninstalled BitDefender for Firefox and will uninstall the Chrome addon and do the SRP stuff tomorrow. Thanks very much Noob!

9. Francis93

Ohh I forgot to add Acronis True Image 2011 to the list. Thanks moontan.

10. malexous

malexous Registered Member

What operating system and architecture (32-bit/64-bit) are you running?

What do you use the computer for?

11. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Your security setup is very good after removing BitDefender and setting SRP properly :thumb:

12. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders..
    I would recommend using private firewall, avast free antivirus, hitman pro and acronis for backup:)

13. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Is this another version of the thread: What is your security setup these days? o_O

Gerard

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nope, but he was asking for recommendations, i guess from now on he can continue posting in the other thread :)
    Since he settled up with a setup.

15. Francis93

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. I use my PC primarily for web surfing, graphics design, encoding documents, multimedia, etc.

I only play Crossfire and I don't play graphics-heavy games.

16. Francis93

Thank you! Is Private Firewall a good FW solution? It's my first time to hear that.

By the way, I have followed the guide Noob gave me and SRP is now enabled.

17. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

PFW is indeed a great firewall IME you can always turn off the HIPS module if you want...:)

18. Francis93

Noob,

What are your designated file types in SRP? I'm a bit confused on what to add or remove.

I guess both AppLocker and SRP are for households or companies with multiple PC's right?

19. Francis93

I'm currently using ESET NOD32 4.2.71.2 as my primary AV. Testing Privatefirewall right now. :)

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I usually just add a few script extensions that's all.
    You can add more but i'm not really sure which ones are recommended ;)
    You can try Google for more information about other file types.

I also don't remove the LNK type. (All my shortcuts, icons are placed in folders)

AppLocker and SRP are for anyone with a PC running Windows ;) (I think they were made for the corporate environment initially, but who says consumers can't benefit from it :rolleyes:)

I like it because it works like a PC lockdown. (Ex. My brother can't install any games or apps without my permission) :D

21. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    In the past I use Avast but it occasionally freezes up my system, so I uninstalled it. It's behaviour blocker could be one of its best asset.

As of now, I uses NOD32 Antivirus together w/ DefenseWall Personal Firewall (important folders in the Secured Files box), Firefox w/ Adblock plus+AntiSocial+AutoProxy+BeeFree+BetterPrivacy+CsFire+No FB Tracking+Search Engine Security+TrackerBlock and WOT. Also SpywareBlaster,MBAM,SuperAntiSpyware, and several Anti-Rootkit scanners...etc. And USB Disk Security just in case my nephews, cousins or brother and sister plug in their infected usb flash drives. :cool:

Francis93 I think your set-up is just good enough. If you're asking if your setup is enough or overkill ..no one has the right to judge if it is or not...it's really up to you. Some people are just having this or just having that but still they survive...then there are some having almost "everything" in their pc (or life) but still ends up to become a "victims". Maybe it could just plain bad luck, accident or a consequences of something...there is no 100% guarantees on protection this day. Even just visiting facebook makes your pc vulnerable to attacks.

If your system starts to slow down coz of too many running protection program then I might say it's already an overkill.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  22. Francis93

Hey sweater! Glad you're from the Philippines. I'm Filipino. ;)

I'm an overkill type of person. I have had very bad experiences with viruses way back. Don't worry, if ever I'm slowing down or getting clunky, then I would slowly uninstall some programs and review my security software inventory assessment (security software checklist). :argh:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  23. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Just to throw my two cents in....
    I would use the virtualization for AIS and place all your internet facing programs in it.

24. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Remove LNK and leave the rest alone and you'll be alright. IOW, do it exactly as MechBgon's guide describes it. If you have some apps that act a bit flakey you might want to exclude libraries, i.e., DLLs. I exclude them without any adverse effects.

BTW, I don't think implementing SRP makes much sense unless you're using a limited user account (as described here, also an article from MechBgon). An admin account with SRP enabled is like a house with the back door locked and the front door wide open. UAC is not a substitute. Use a limited account and that along with the things you listed as "tertiary" protection (SRP, DEP, SEHOP, EMET) will actually be your primary defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.