My Large Dog Bumped Into My Laptop Hard. Would it Affect Anything?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by sooflymami, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

I have a large male German Shepherd dog and he's active and he bumped into my laptop hard while it was on. Do you think my laptop should be ok and it won't going to affect anything at all?? Also, the metal part thats part of my desk hit my laptop. I'm worried.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

how hard a bump, what was the laptop used at the time (as in any hd intensive operations)? run chkdsk to check for any errors but most probably no damage worth worrying about

3. Halffull

Halffull Registered Member

The only real damage that's likely to occur is hard drive damage (only moving part), well the fan is another moving part but that's easily replaced.

And obviously check the laptop for exterior damage, I've unfortunately dropped my laptops many times, and none of them ever had any serious damage to it, I wouldn't recommend it, but they were safe nonetheless.

4. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

If the PC is working OK now it was not damaged by the bump. This does not mean something else wont go wrong in the future but it would be a safe bet that whatever went wrong would not be caused by the bump.

In other words if the bump damaged something you would know it immediately.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts. Stick to the topic. Thanks!

6. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Likely you're OK as long as chkdsk turns out OK - try another time or two over next few days to be more sure. If the laptop was plugged in, I would hope the wire wasn't jerked and put undue stress on the power jack (or other external connection) or its connections to the power/motherboard - make sure it still charges the battery and maintains power OK.*puppy*

7. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Soofly and I will do a scan tomorrow and report back on anything.Would it cause slowdown on the laptop in general and shutting down/turning on including installation or is it ok?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  8. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

If there were a problem, it's hard to say exactly what you would see, depends on the specific problem. I would try to follow up on ANY unusual behavior you see AFTER the event that was not seen BEFORE the event.

9. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Drops and falls are more likely to affect other components first before the HDD.
    Had a laptop that dropped from 32" off an end table hitting on the front edge.
    LCD and MB toast, HDD was fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.