My First Newbie Question

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Samjax, Mar 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samjax

Samjax Registered Member

After having recently experienced a browser "hijacking" I have spent a good amount of time doing research, a fair amount on this very site (which appears to be the best site I can find concerning computer security issues).

At this point I am using the following:

Spyware Guard
    Spyware Blaster
    SpyBot Search and Destroy
    Ad-Aware
    Norton Anti-Virus
    Sygate Personal Firewall
    Ewido Security Suite

And yes, I have gotten rid of my problem thanks to these programs.

My question...is there a need to purchase either TDS-3, TrojanHunter or PestPatrol?

I have downloaded them all...and it seems that PestPatrol does quite a bit more "stuff" than the other two, but I am wondering if it is as effective as TDS or TH at detecting Trojans. I followed advice found here in the TDS forum on setting up TDS-3 and it also seems to work very well (although there are a ton of functions that I have no clue how to use). TrojanHunter also looks fairly easy to use. There are a lot of people here who seem to like TDS and TH...I don't see quite the same following for Pestpatrol although I see a lot of people quoting information from their pest database.

All 3 programs detected the trojan simulator that I downloaded...so they seem at least equal in that regard. I read about how these programs have a database of so many "thousand" files to look for. How do these 3 programs compare in this regard? In other words, which one has the bigger database to pull from in order to be more thorough in its detection?

The only reason that I am looking for an additional program to ESS, is that I like the idea of the program running all the time on my computer...after reboots etc, which the ESS program doesn't do.

And finally...with the "donation" ware type companies, what is a reasonable donation to send? $10, $20, $30...o_O Not sure what the protocol is on that, so figured I would ask.

Thanks in advance.

2. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hi samjax,

First a warm welcome to Wilders, :cool:

You can go for either TH or TDS as your main Anti-Trojan with Ewido keeping as back up. Pest Patrol can come up with false positives sometimes, and Ewido is just going on to be established and a great program, but is better being as a back-up scanner at present

Both TDS and TH , alongwith BOClean are clear cut winners all the way in the race for best Anti Trojans. Its totally your wish as which you want to keep. TDS comes up with almost daily updates and TH is frequent too. Both great database and also have their benefits.

It's totally your wish in terms of donations. Its not the money but intention to help that matters. Regarding the related softwares you can contact the developers here.

Hope that helped.
    keep posting

3. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

the upcoming ewido security suite pro will do ;)

4. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Eagerly will be waiting for that , ;)

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Welcome indeed!

It's very encouraging to see someone do their "homework" and utilize the tools-at-hand and this forum prior to asking advice. Congratulations!

Fairly comprehensive - but if you're using IE as your primary browser, you need to be utilizing IE-SPYAD, from here: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm . D/l it, install it, set your IE "Restricted" Zone up exactly as instructed and make sure you keep the program updated thereafter.

Yes, there is. My personal choice would be TDS-3 - don't worry about learning all the functions right off-the-bat, that'll come with time. It'll also save you, down the road, from having to get - free or not - other programs, the functionality of which TDS-3 already contains, when you become interested enough to learn how to use the program.

Don't get to feeling too warm and fuzzy about that - all three programs have had definitions added specifically for those "trojan simulators" already.

Total "count", if you will, isn't the "be-all" or "end-all" involved in malware catching. The number of methods used to catch, the amount and quality of un-packers contained, the extent, depth and completeness of the cleaning when something is encountered - all these are also vital. Not to mention that some program makers count individual variants of the one primary malware as separate detections - while others don't.

Well, it shouldn't be the only reason you're looking. ESS, while showing a lot of initial potential, is a fairly new, un-tested program - this is not what you want as your primary anti-Trojan defense at this time. This applies to the upcoming "Pro" version as well because the same facts hold true.

I always try to send a minimum of $20 to whatever it is I happen to be contributing to at the time. I do that because whoever you're donating to loses at least a little of that to PayPal (or whoever) for handling fees.

Hope some of this helps. Pete

6. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

i've always viewed the donation scheme like i was purchasing the software.. so i usually donate the amount a license for a similar commercial software would cost.. reality is that any amount of money is accepted and that all donated money helps.

7. peter.ewido

we'll see, we'll see... :D

8. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Fish, when will the other versions be available. Also the web site needs to provide more info.

9. peter.ewido

Really soon i hope ;)

10. ecordle

ecordle Registered Member

Thanks, I never realised; as another newbie, just learning (after realising my Norton was next to useless on it's own), I have a nearly identical 'security' set-up to samjax.

I have also added a couple of firewalls - zone alarm and Sygate personal firewall. Any advice on which of these is best? Zone alarm seems to be doing all the work with them both running simultaneously but most people on wilders seem to use sygate, - any special reason I should know about?

Thanks Ed ;)

11. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi ecordle :)

I don't think it is wise to run 2 firewalls at the same time.

Take a look at this thread for some reasons why,

http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?showtopic=2677

snowbound

12. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Ed,

No offense intended - but please start a new thread over on "Other Firewalls" - this is the "other antitrojan" forum ;)

regards.

paul

13. ecordle

Hi Snowbound :)

Thanks, I kinda guessed that, ;) I thought i'd give it a test for a day or two to see what happened, hence the question of which is best.

I'll take a look at that thread anyhow, and keep learning!!

Ed ;)

14. ecordle

Hi Paul

SORRY :oops:

None taken

ED ;)

15. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

No problem, Ed ;)

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.