my first good experience with KAV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by WSFuser, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

determined to try it, i uninstalled my trial of nod32 and in its place installed KAV 6.0.1.346. i got the beta key from the forum and the install when smoothly.

booting the comp wasnt slow or anything tho KAV wasnt teh first icon in the systray. after setting KAV to max and changing a few other settings, i found it ran well on my comp. it was on my athlon xp 2400 not the usual athlon 64 3200 either. i now take back everything bad i said about KAV.

the memory usage seems to fluctuate around, sometimes high sometimes low, but it not a big deal.

Also is scanning ur computer a non-critical event? for whatever reason i unchecked that option and after running a scan i couldnt find any logs. i dont know how long the scan took, but it wasnt very fast. after 28 or so minutes it was only at 55%. at least the scan didnt find anything so i know nod32 did its job in protecting me.

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

WSFuser

Yes, KAV 6.0 has surprised many with it's lightness.As for logging, go to Settings/Data Files/Reports and check the boxes.Also in the settings area, set future scans to scan 'New and changed files only'.This will speed up the scan times to '10 to 30' minutes.

3. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Hi WSFuser.

KAV has more unpackers, that's why it delays a little to scan.It's very light too about resources and it will receive more features in about 2 months.
    I didn't have any kind of problem with it since october 2005.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

4. WSFuser

ive noticed that. im now scanning my F drive which has all my downloads. i watched teh dialog for a lil while and it thoroughly unpacked the prevx1 and kav setups. 34 minutes into the scan and 5%.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Sorry , but this will KILL everybody . I cannot wait it scanning SO SLOW 34 min. = 5% only = athlon xp 2400 I need time to live , not to scan for unknown purpose

Old machines will definitely hung if something else is being done at that moment

No matter how packs it supports , the packs are not dangerous until executed/extracted so this is useless and Kaspersky is still slow , isn't it:ninja:

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

He meant runtime packers that are decompressed in memory which is different than classic archives that must be first extracted to the disk before they are run.

NOD32 employs a generic unpacker so you cannot say that it detects less rt packed files.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Sorry , I didn't got in the right way . :thumb:

I guess the most important part is still
    but this will KILL everybody . I cannot wait it scanning SO SLOW 34 min. = 5% only = athlon xp 2400

8. WSFuser

the scan finished in 40 minutes. KAV took a while on the executables but the videos and other stuff mustve been faster.

9. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Good to hear you like it! :)

Please keep in mind that the build you are using is by no means a "stable" build. It is a pre-beta build, based on the development for the Workstation release of Kaspersky 6. It has some strange quirks, that could explain high CPU use (taskmanager protection eats cpu cycles for example :) )

If you are ready, please keep testing the builds and provide feedback on the Kaspersky Forums!

10. WSFuser

i am aware its a beta build and i will provide feedback if necessary.

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

But, if it kills everybody..................:doubt: how can WSFuser (or you) even be alive.......[​IMG]

I'm naturally not going to bore you with annoying facts....like for example how much is actually on WSFuser's HD, which of course has nothing to do with the scan-time or the fact that you're a Nod32 reseller who only wants the best for............................;)

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Isn't there iChecker and iSwift in KAV and KIS 6.0? Enable these and every scan after the first scan will take less time. ;)

13. WSFuser

I have those two enabled. Also how do those two differ from teh option "Scan new and changed files only"?

heres a different question if u wont mind, in the additional tab for file av settings, under scan mode, what is "smart mode"?

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Can you please ignore the fact I am NOD32 reseller . Thanks .

What I think and say about KAV is not because I am a reseller , trust me . As I have already said , I have been a reseller for about 4 months but KAV is much older than my reseller status , right .

Enjoy your day , Don :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2006
  15. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

No...............i did enjoy today (hot, just like i like it), thank you, i hope you did too.:)

16. Mem

Mem Registered Member

iChecker and iSwift accelerate the real-time and on-demand scanning capability of KAV/KIS 6 over time. iChecker uses checksum while iSwift uses NTFS identifier (NTFS only obviously).

http://www.kaspersky.com/faq?chapter=186526538&qid=186010624

17. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

34 minutes is nothing if you're able to do other things while it is scanning. If the scanning process of any AV interferes with whatever else you use the computer for then is the time to complain.

18. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, KAV is more CPU efficient than some clones (eScan :eek:); so at least one is able to do some other job while the on-demand scan is running :)

19. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

The first scan is always long but it will decrease the scanning time after that thanks to the iSwift and iChecker technology, if i am not wrong:p but the time will decrease, I use KAV too;)

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi HiTech_boy,
    I have to note that you are constantly saying that KAV uses a lot of resources, and takes longer to scan than NOD for instance.

That may really be true on your machines, but it is not on mine. I trialed NOD32 on two computers, and then KAV6.
    Scan times were slightly over 30 minutes for NOD. I did not consider that bad as Bit Defender had been taking slightly over 40 minutes.

The first scan with KAV6 took slightly over 30 minutes also. However, subsequent scans take from 2 minutes to a max of 16 minutes, with 6 - 8 being the norm for a full scan.

As to resources, NOD32 used 22,216K memory, and KAV6 normally used about 11,757K on the same machine. The most KAV ever used when I checked was 13,004K.

I do not doubt your statements as to your own machines, but they are not typical and are much different from mine.
    KAV6 is lighter and scans much faster. It has a higher detection rate, although in heuristics NOD is better for now.

NOD is a superb AV, but in my mind KAV6 is enough better that I chose it and have a license for 2 years.

I think anyone should trial both, and decide which suits him better. Both AVs will have followers.

Regards,
    Jerry

21. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

There is many people that posts bad things of KAV just because they dont like it or because they hate it, even if they have not tried it.:mad:
    KAV has always been a good antivirus, now that some bugs (e.g.: the AIG) had came up is not a big problem considering that Kas Labs are currently working on MP1 for all KAV users.

22. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Let's say I won't accept it personal this time ... but I have tried Kaspersky Antivirus many times since 2004 on variety of machines , the same result everytime . strange , isn't it *puppy*

VirusBulletin , February 2005
    Scanning speed Windows NT/XP

NOD32 5208.9 KB/s
    McAfee 3275.0 KB/s
    Symantec 2288.4 KB/s
    Kaspersky 2278.9 KB/s

... I will stop it , it is neverending argument. :thumb: Thanks ! ;)

23. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

If you want us to consider your facts, how bout using current ones.Febuary/2005- c'mon, that's a year and a half ago!.

24. WSFuser

Thank you. I started this thread just to discuss my recent conversion to KAV.

Being a former NOD32 user though, I can understand your concern with on-demand scanning speed. I ran my scans overnight so it didn't bother me much.

25. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

KAV vs NOD is a never ending argument, one which does neither any good.
    I thought this thread was about the OP's experience with KAV?
    Why can't the KAV users enjoy KAV and the NOD users enjoy NOD without all of the nit picking?
    Stop picking out all of the faults of one over the other, like one is "superior" to the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.