My F: Drive will not Boot! need help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by robbyma, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robbyma

robbyma Registered Member

I have a Pentium 4 875P Chipset computer. i have true image 9 with updates.
    (built in Sata IRCH5) (1 Sata Raid 0)2 sata hard drives to make up the Raid 0. And one IDE hard drive. I can boot off The IDE or Raid by changing the settings in the motherboards bios.

I made an image of my Raid Drive that is a good image because it will Restore fine on the original C: drive that the image was made from. But When I try and put the image on the IDE F: drive I have in the computer... it will not boot.

My computer's bios gives me the option to boot off my C: Drive which is my Sata Raid... or my F: Drive wich is My first IDE hard drive. I know it will boot of this F: drive because in the past I have I installed all the software from scratch and the F: drive boots fine... so why doesn't my True Image 9(with all updates) make the F: Partition bootable? I made it Active and changed the BIOS settings to boot off the F drive first..

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

What operating system are you using?
    What error messages do you get when you try to boot from F:?
    If Windows XP, have you examined the boot.ini file on F:\?

3. robbyma

I don't get an error message... the boot stops after the "boot from CD" message shows up.

Running XP Pro with a Sata hard drive and an IDE hard drive.

a. I installed windows on the Sata Drive(Raid 0)
    b. I made an image of the Sata Drive ( C: )
    c. I restored the image to the IDE drive ( F: )
    d. Then I changed the Bios to boot off the IDE drive first.
    (originally the Bios was set to boot off the Sata Drive first)

but the computer will not boot off the IDE drive!

When I do a restore from within Windows.. Should I assign a Drive letter to the IDE Partition that I am restoring? And should I view the boot.ini on the IDE drive and maybe edit it so it will boot?

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you set the HD to be the first boot device in the BIOS, do you get the same messge?

I think you should do the restore using the Recovery CD. Windows doesn't like seeing two identical drives and will cause the second drive to not be a boot drive. This same problem occurrs if you clone a boot drive to a second internal drive and then boot into Windows before you disconnect the second drive.

Boot from the TI CD and repeat the restore to the F drive. Then, let us know what happens.

5. robbyma

I was wrong... I do get an error message... It says: Unable to read drive, type cntrl alt del. to reboot.

When I boot of the TI CD.. is says all the TIB files are not true image archives... I know for a fact that they are! is there a problem with the True Image 9 CD's when you boot of them?

6. robbyma

I do get an error. It says something like this:

Disk Read Error
    type ctrl, alt, del to reboot

And I made a True Image CD from the TI that I have installed on my computer. I took the Sata drive out of the Bios and made the IDE drive the Boot drive in the Bios. With a boot off the new True Image CD I was able to restore the image to the IDE drive... but I still get the same error message! maybe it is because I am making an image of a "Raid 0 drive". The Image does restore and boot great on the Sata Drives I have in Raid 0... and like I said before... after the restore to the IDE drive.. this same image gives me a read error when I boot off the IDE drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.