My current security setup - what do you think?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Toby75, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

AV - Avira Antivir Free
    AS/AM - Windows Defender (resident guards activated), SuperAntispyware Free, Ewido Free, A2 Free, Adaware Free, Spybot S&D (tea timer and SD helper enabled), Bazooka spyware scanner, spyware blaster
    Firewall - both hardware firewall and comodo free software firewall

Online scanners - kaspersky

Drive Cleaners - ccleaner and DustBuster

Browser - Opera

Best Regards,
    Toby

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

its a good setup, though i think u should remove some AS/AM apps.

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I would consider getting rid of Windows Defender,AdAware,Spybot,and Bazooka.
    You don't need all of those programs IMO.

The rest of your setup looks excellent to me.

4. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Thanks for your opinion :D I have considered removing some of them but...

Adaware, Bazooka are not active processes so these are basically for ***** and giggles.

Windows Defender and Spybot's tea timer are for montoring system changes....any suggestions for replacing both of these apps with 1 app?
    I've been contemplating Spyware Termintor but just can't trust them because of their past.

Best Regards,
    Toby

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

If it's going to cost you,I'd go with BOClean.I trust it to keep more than trojans off my computer.
    The free option would be WinPatrol.But the free version doesn't have constant monitoring.

Can't argue with that.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I would suggest replacing Windows Defender with any thing. My experience with that was a waste. It doesn't find anything. I would keep 3 anti spyware apps and I would keep the Ad-Aware. I have: SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware, Spysweeper, and AVG (ewido4). I have another year on SS, and then I'm considering getting rid of that. :)

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Nah, i think he's on the money. Not spending it that is! I'm like you in that respect, Toby75. Just consider adding Sandboxie or GeSWall.
    Otherwise:thumb: :thumb:

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

You are right, but SAS was listed there too (same reason?) & now it is top AS. :)
    ST does not have a great detection, but it is much more better then WinDefender.
    By the way, if you keep Ewido and SAS, you do not need the rest ondemand AS/AM.

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Not so sure about that. Back when i didn't have a sandbox:D , i got spyware with Ewido, Spybot, A-Squared, and never found anything with SuperAntispyware. But i do think for on-demand SAS is very good, given the reviews.
    None will get them all. So get them all to scan your pc. Until you sandbox it! Even still i keep them, they're free, no resident (free version), so no problem. It's my "sleep better at night" artillery:D

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I used to have all of those for ondemand scans and they used to take houres to scan PC. [​IMG]

So it is OK to have many of them, but eg SAS detects spyware better than AdAware + Spybot, Spybot is mostly for trojan detection, but Ewido is top AntiTrojan, WD detects almost nothing.

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I agree with you. But that would be the more frequent scans. Every now and then (is this right?) scan with the others to be sure. Nothing is lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.