My AV Choices for 2011/12

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Escalader, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

This post is NOT a AV vs other AV which as we all know is against the rules.

It mearly describes what I have decided to do on the 2 PC's I manage on this LAN. One is a 64 bit HP vista based desktop the other is a 64 bit Dell Notebook under Windows 7

I have been facing the expiry of my Nod32 2 year license this month so I've been following my own guidelines and used the AV-Comparatives testing results to make choices.

What I do (you ideas may be different ) is select ONLY products that score ADVANCED + on both the most recent tests:

On Demand Certification Level

Proactive Retrospective Certification Level

Only 2 vendors did that:

Avira and Kaspersky. So I will put the free Avira on the Desk top and the Kaspersky on the note book.

I have a license (bargin a few weeks back) for KAV Pure which has a few more bells and features but they are just a bonus

If I have huge issues with either I'm quite prepared to revert.

From time to time I'll do a web based SCAN from Nod32 as an extra.

This post is for information only
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. ingem64

ingem64 Registered Member

NOD32 Antivirus 5
    :D
  3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

4. Escalader

The last test on Proactive Retrospective Certification Level was

http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/retrospective-test

I did have the V5 Nod32 running and I liked it (except for the buggy HIPS)BUT it hasn't yet been tested in retrospective.

That will likely come in November and I have to base choices on what has happened not what might happen.

If it goes double , double for both a year from now well it would be a choice for me again.
  5. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

I would replace Kasperky with Panda IS
  6. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Any special reason why you made that particular choice, what about cross-reference
  7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

With the free Avira I hope your aware you have to decline the toolbar three times.
  8. Escalader

Go for it. but as the tital of the thread is MY AV choices I did the work of evaluation using my evaluation criteria. Panda unfortunatly did not make Advanced + on the:

Proactive Retrospective Certification Level

If in 1 year it does I will consider it.
  9. Escalader

TY, I have corrected the error!
  10. Escalader

Well TY I do know that now. What happens if the user accepts the tool bar?
  11. Escalader

Well, the desk top doesn't do much, just email really and downloading the odd attachment. No OLB etc.

If I need to I can put KAV on the desk top.

I don't know what you mean by cross reference... can you explain?
  12. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

I think he means cross-referencing against other reputable av test sites.
  13. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

If you except the tool bar you get web guard,If you dont mind ask tool bar.You can't install web guard alone.It's all or none.
  14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Shouldn't the lighter Avira be on the weaker machine? No choices for me, because I don't depend on them.
  15. Dark Shadow

Actually I was thinking the same thing but I left it alone.
  16. Escalader

The Avira would be on the weaker machine. If you mean slightly less memory and CPU power. Speed on both PC's is good.

But it really doesn't matter. The HP is 64 bit vista under UAC control does next to nothing applications wise. Spouse uses it for email (outlook) and some word and pdf reading.
  17. Escalader

TY. When the time to install I'll pass on the tool bar.

It uses IE 9 and I've loaded the HOST file. If ever surfing becomes an activity on this one I'll upgrade to KAV Pure as it does have very very strong web site control plus a FW.
  18. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

isnt this thread somewhat going in direction of A vs B.

we have security setup thread for this .
  19. Dark Shadow

No its not,as long as others stay OT about the two products picked by Escalader for two different machines and not suggest or compare.any others.Cheers
  20. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Remember that PURE is not the same 2012 engine as the current KIS/KAV so if you are running PURE based on the score KIS/KAV got you may be incorrect.
  21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Actually, you can disable it after installation. Someone from Avira said this.
  22. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

If you do you don't retain web guard. I can tell you the powers that be at Avira's forum have said that.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  23. Dark Shadow

Cool but thought if the tool bar was disabled so was the web guard.

(Edit) I posted before seeing hammers post,Thanks hammer
  24. Escalader

Hi: I've been wrong before and may be wrong again!

I will check out this engine vintage with KAV Lab guys.

The AV-Comparatives 2011 Cerification Levels for KAV were:

Kaspersky Antivirus 12.0.0.374 (abc) test date for ON Demand was

September 27, 2011 rated as ADVANCED +

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 test date for Proactive Retrospective was May 21,2011 rated as Advanced +

Pure "about" says Version 9.1.0.124 (a.b)
    1997-2010 in the copyright but that may or may not confirm an engine vintage.

I also think (not the same as knowing) that Pure may be a beta:doubt:

Although how I bought a beta from Best Buy on sale seems to say that ani't the case one of my many questions for KAV.

Let's be careful NOT to turn my thread about MY choices into A vs B AV products.

My loyalty to security products is zero. I'm not saying anybody else should do what I'm doing. There are many other AV's that have Advanced + ratings at AV-Comparitives. It's just my "preference" for double double ADVANCED + certifications that drives me down these routes.

2 years back this requirement drove me to a different choice.:D

Now I'm in a new setup and enjoying the learning. :cool:
  25. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

PURE is not beta but the version you are running (the latest available) is based on the 2010 engine. I went ahead and looked on the Kaspersky forum and found this:
    "PURE uses the same core engine as KIS 2010 and KAV 2010"
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=216439&view=findpost&p=1719333

They will eventually update it but it is not on the same update schedule as KIS/KAV.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.