Must Have Apps in Win 10

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by beethoven, May 28, 2016.

1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Having just upgraded some pc to Win 10 I am wondering what the must have apps are in Win 10.

In the past I usually had my preferred pdf reader, picture viewer etc but I notice a lot of this already covered by Win 10.
    Any suggestions on apps or external software that is still essential to be put on Win 10 either because there is nothing provided by default or the native software is missing essential features?

2. rossnixon

rossnixon Registered Member

No modern/metro apps for me. Stick to old-school desktop programs. Add PotPlayer for multimedia & DVD playback.

3. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

VLC
    Foobar2000
    Privazzer
    HitmanPro
    SyncBackFree
    ImgBurn

4. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I would say CCleaner to remove most of the junk Metro apps that can't be removed normally from within Windows.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I do not use any of modern/metro apps other than Microsoft's Calculator app, and have uninstalled most of them with IObit Uninstaller.

I use PDF-XChange Viewer for reading PDFs.
    For viewing images I use Honeyview.
    For playing audio files and viewing videos I use SMPlayer.
    Advanced SystemCare Ultimate is my antivirus on the main laptop I use, and Tencent PC Manager on the others.
    For uninstalling software I use IObit Uninstaller

They all have more features than Microsoft's apps, and unlike Windows Defender, Advanced SystemCare does not slow down my computer.

However, I do use Notepad for editing text files and Microsoft Paint for saving screenshots.

6. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

I still use the Windows 7 calculator in Windows 10.

7. guest

guest Guest

Modern apps are ran in Appcontainer (Windows' "sandboxing") so basically safer than any 3rd party apps (unless you run your 3rd party apps in a sandbox, as i do).

For basic usage, Modern Apps are good , i use them; for more options, i run portable apps in sandboxie.

8. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

I have uninstalled all of them including the hard coded non removable ones such as support and contact, however I have left calculator and MS Edge.

9. roger_m

I might download it and start using it again.

10. roger_m

I don't use any sandboxing software, but I don't like Microsoft's included apps, so I'm prepared to sacrafice some security by using alternative desktop apps.

11. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

There are a few ways you can switch to the old Windows 7 calculator.
    1. Get the old calc.exe from Windows 7.
    2. Download and install Microsoft Calculator Plus v1.0. Note: Microsoft no longer hosts it, so I provided a CNET link.
    3. Download and install Old Calculator for Windows 10 v1.1 by Winaero. (My preferred method).

12. guest

guest Guest

that is totally understandable. ;)

13. roger_m

14. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

In my VM install of Windows 10 (Ent. LTSB) I use none of modern apps. They are luckily not included in LTSB release :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.