Multiple Monitors Question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tradetime, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Hi, this is probably a stupid question, but when it comes to computers, I have plenty more of them. o_O

Is it possible to run two different sized monitors, at different resolutions on the same graphics card. To explain, I have been running 3 x 17 inch monitors on two graphics cards at a res of 1280 x 1024. I want to run a fourth monitor, 24 inch which would mean it sharing a graphics card with one of the 17 inch, but at a resolution of 1900 x 1200. Is this actually possible?
    Thanx guys.

2. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Don't see why not.
    I'm running a 19" @ 1440/900 & a 26" @ 1920/1200 on one 3D Labs card.
    Easy enough to test yourself.
    Go into your Display Properties / Settings and play about.

3. tradetime

Thanx Bob, I currently have the 1920 x 1200 alongside a 17 inch which in properties is set to run at 1280 x 1024 but seems to be displaying at 800 x 600, possibly a software / driver issue then.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

make sure you have the lastest graphics card drivers.
    if you an ATI card install catalylist control centre and configure it there.
    if you have an nvidia card use the nvidia control panel to configure it.

5. tradetime

Thanx Lodore, working on that now. Downloading what looks to be the latest softwarefor this old card, will install it in a test snapshot . Plug and Pray as they say ;)

6. tradetime

Ok, giving this up for the night, having spent20 minutes trying to connect to the Dot Net server, since the software needs that bollox to work, sheesh

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Just an option. I only install the drivers. Then handle everything through native windows. The Wife runs dual mis-matched monitors at different resolutions this way with no problem. (no dot.net either.) If you desire all the tweaking then by all means download and use the Ati control panel.

8. tradetime

Thanx for that mate, that's an option for my real system, as for my test system, one last effort connected me to dot net :doubt: o_O :eek: so we see what happens, as some guy in a movie once said "I gotta bad feeling about this."

9. tradetime

Amazing, went through all that, it all installed without a hitch and that software telles me the offenting monitors resolution is 1280 x 1024 when it is clear it is not. ATI can't even tell what resolution the monitor on its card is running at o_O

10. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Depending on the type of monitor in question it may have an auto sync option from within the monitor menu. You may want to check on available resolutions for that monitor as well.

Apologies if you are already aware of this.

11. tradetime

Nice idea, but no there is no way to alter the resolution on the monitor, but it is smarter than the OS and the graphics software, it can tell what it's resolution is 800 x 600 even though both OS and graphics software claim it is 1280 x 1024, bit of a difference. If I disable the 24 inch the 17 inch monitor immediately retuns to its native resolution. Enable it and bang...back to 800 x 600.

12. tradetime

I'd just have to put this down to the usual computer bollox, turn the monitor off and turn it back on, and it won't come on "No signal detected" yet it was detecting a signal 6 seconds ago, and nothing else has changed. I fookin hate computers, too fookin clever for their own good. If real men made computers, they'd just work, they'd be a bit rough round the edges, they'd lack the finer details, but they just work, bury em in mud and they'd work, kicke em aroiund and they'd work. I'm sure computers were designed and built by women, they're just too fookinb fi=ussy!Q!!!

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Lets hope if you have a partner she doesnt read this lol.

14. tradetime

LOL, shes used to me blaming everything I can't do on women, it's always the clever technical things, unfortunately she can't sort them out either. :D

On a serious note I suspect with the pace that technology moves this G card is likely to old for this monitor. I just wanted confirmation from the clever tech wise peeps that I could put two different sized monitors on one G card otherwise I'll need to get three cards in the next box.

Probably should have included my system details from the start as well....doh sorry peeps

XP Sp3 fully updated
    1GB RAM
    AMD 64 bit circa 1.8 Ghz
    Radeon 7000 G card 32 MB
    Nvidia FX 5500 128 MB

All the problems surround the Radeon card, just thinking, that's not a lot of memory, though having said that wouldn't it just pinch memory from the RAM if it needed it?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  15. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Note: Multiple cards compatability can be troublesome.
    (Although I read of one reported success w/ XP running 6 monitors via 3 PCI cards!)
    A good resource regarding Multi-Monitor Resources / Compatibility Database:
    http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/db.asp
    Not trying to spend your money for you, but may want to consider 3 or 4 monitor capable graphics card.

16. tradetime

No worries mate, thanks for the response, I think I have really gained what I need to know from this, even though the problem remains, this PC is soon to retire to a single monitor. I now know that there can be an issue with two monitors of differing size on one card, although there shouldn't be, and thus I can make sure the people building the replacement ensure that this is sorted. Thanx to all that replied, if you do happen to come across anything related to this feel free to post it, I am still curious as the the cause.

17. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

Yup, infact, right now, I am typing this on a laptop with the (lousy) intel integrated chipset, and it has no trouble with simultaneously outputting to the 13" WS 1280x800 of the laptop LCD display and the 1280x1024 of the 17" HP monitor to which it is connected.
    http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/82/intel1lc5.jpg
    http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/7537/intel2uj9.jpg

BTW, if you don't want to buy ultramon to manage dual monitors, you can try multimon. It's free and works pretty well....gives you a taskbar on the secondary monitor and you can shift apps between monitors just with one click.
    http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm
    I haven't tried it on more than a dual LCD setup though, so no idea if it handles more than 2 monitors correctly.

18. tradetime

Thanx for that Arkham, my conclusion, based on all the comments and evidence of the fact that the card runs 2x 17 inch monitors ok, is that the card is simply not up to the task of running that much resolution. Replacement machine will be here in the next week or so, so not really any major problem.

Will have a look at that program though I have used a triple setup for about 3 years now and have never missed anything like that, so not sure what it would bring me, but I will try it thanx and see if it adds anything practical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.