multiple instances

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Stoic, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoic

Stoic Guest

on the task manager, i often find multiple instances of TDS, like... uhh... when I save a new setting. I would then need to manually choke each of them off. Would anyone elaborate on why they clone themselves in the first place?

btw, when will TDS support drag-and-drop functionality?

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Stoic

I have had on occasion had multiple instances of TDS running in TM, but it sounds like yours is happening too frequently.

Mine happens if for some reason the TDS Icon disappears from SysTray and I just fire it up again, thinking I had forgotten to start it [I use Manual Start Mode] only to find nothing appears still in SysTray, so check in TM and then end both entries to restart it proper.

How often would you say this happens... and by "save a new setting" do you mean a desktop/theme/background/wallpaper/etc. setting or do you mean a setting in TDS itself?

This has happened to me probably 1/2 times in last 12 months, change a theme in desktop and TDS icon in Systray disappears, I restart TDS [without thinking, doh] only to find 2 instances in TM.

As to drag and drop, cannot answer, more than likely in next free upgrade to TDS4.

Cheers, TAS

3. stoic

stoic Guest

hey TD,

the problem isn't as dire as I made it sound to be, but what is annoying about it is that when there are multiple instances they all disappear from view and no action on my part can bring TDS back to life -- well, except to put them all out of their misery and then resuscitate one of them back to life. I'm ususally not aware of this abnormality, but when I right-click the mouse (context menu) to scan a file or two with TDS nothing happens. Upon looking into Windows task mgr I see several instances of TDS. So who knows how often this happens, although it's more than I care to count...

...and when I say "save settings" I mean the TDS configuation.

My 2-cents suggestion for the next TDS features: as noted above, have TDS support drag-and-drop capability and, above all, make it trojan-resistant giving users a ready access to a background monitoring to all their internet activities. This way they won't need to worry about catching trojans in the first place! ;)

4. Tassie_Devils

ahhh... okie for that part, nothing *will* happen alert wise ... you just have to open the GUI from the SysTray and you will see where it scanned and it will only give a description in a new 'alarm' box that will come up at the bottom of the interface IF something [alert/warning/infomation], or a nastie is found.

The issue of nothing being found and no alerts to *tell* you all is OK has been addressed and this will appear in next version we are told, as some people requested it to *see* if all is ok... in the meantime, just open the GUI itself to see.

My screenshot shows each.

Top part just shows scan done, no alerts, so nothing shows up in bottom Alarm window which only appears if one of the above happens.

Bottom one shows Scan AND Alarm Box, but in this case it tells me it's NOT a trojan, as it was the Leaktest from GRC, and people were concerned about it because of the alerting so the TDS team put it in definitions. ;)

Cheers, TAS

edit: go here to see screenshots of alerts, etc.

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=screenshots

Attached Files:

• 108.GIF
      108.GIF
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
  5. Stoic

Stoic Guest

you seemed to have misunderstood me TD. "Nothing" in my jargon means not that a scan comes up clean but that the TDS screen remains hidden from view -- that is, for clarity's sake, I DO NOT see TDS at all on the monitor. This happens, as alluded to earlier, only when more than one instance is runninbg. As such, I have to kill the process and start over.

6. Tassie_Devils

ok, I was just going by your post, in which you said when you right click context menu to scan a file, etc. nothing happens..... so I replied that is correct, nothing jumps up... your wording indicated to me you got nothing upon a scan and hence my reply... ok!!! :D

TAS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.