MSE ongoing BETA

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Zyrtec, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. get_it

get_it Registered Member

Been using MSE with PC Tools Firewall Plus for sometime now. No hiccups or slow downs. My system has never ran so smooth. Very snappy and responsive. I click the google chrome icon and the browser is literally thrown onto the screen in under a second.
    This is on an Amd Athlon 3Ghz xp, 1Gb RAM, 200Gb SATA, WinXP system. Best of all.....they are both free!!!

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

The cost of MSE is they require you to enroll in Spynet.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

The same cost as every single other AV, only MSE gives you a choice to use basic, and brings it to the foreground (your attention) instead of hiding it in a EULA.

4. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Other AVs allow you the option of not enrolling. That's a big difference.
    I am only repeating what a moderator states in post number nine here:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com...t/thread/d33fcf36-39f4-40b2-adb4-2381c567a52a
    "Put quite simply, membership in at least Basic SpyNet is the 'cost' for using Microsoft Security Essentials for free."
    The Eset EULA states Eset does not collect such information as indicated by sections 2, 15b, and 19.
    The EULA of Avira does not indicate any collection of private information by Avira.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  5. elapsed

Every single AV collects data about detections like it or not. In ESET's case it's called threatsense, no idea what it's called in Avira's case, but look at Avira's website for threat statistics, you think they are magicked up? ;)

Quoted from the exact link you posted:

6. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

The difference is the user is allowed to opt out of Threatsense in the case of Eset. The user cannot opt out with Microsoft. The 'cost' is not hidden in the EULAs of Eset and Avira. I checked.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  7. elapsed

Last I checked, threatsense was opt-in. How do you think ESET acquire these threat statistics? There is no opt-out, just like Avira.

But I feel like I'm trying to beat paranoia, which is beyond my abilities.

8. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

From Eset:

I don't think it could be any clearer. I would suggest you read their EULAs as I have. It will clear up any confusion you still have.

9. Logos

Logos Registered Member

same with avast, you can opt out (talking about V5 beta now). But what goes on behind the curtains of the code, I'm not sure :D But yes, at the contrary of Defender, you can't opt out with MSE.

10. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I have tried MSE out an have been quite surprised with how good it works. As for spynet...if it helps them keep ahead of the baddies and doesn't seek to aquire "Personal" info but is only used for the job at hand then I certainly don't mind contributing. Look at all these "Cloud" solutions coming out. They rely on the info coming down the pipe from it's users to do a better job. Sheesh, the paranioa levels here make me shake my head at times. :rolleyes:

11. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Different people feel differently about their privacy. That's why many AV makers provide the opt-out feature.

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

so they have your credit card number, you name and address at the start, like all vendors, and now just what is it that worrys folks about something like Spynet.:cautious:

14. elapsed

You missed my point, threatsense if off by default, so you would assume the masses have it off, how then do they have all the threat data? Same goes for other AV's.

I can keep repeating myself if it helps, all AV companies collect data from your machine, like it or not.

Good point, thankfully, MSE is free :p

15. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Eset collects threat information as explained here: http://www.virusradar.com/info_enu.html.
    Avira statistical information is collected as explained here:
    http://www.avira.com/en/threats/section/stats/top/24/index.html

In neither case is statistical information obtained by monitoring customer usage. Additionally, since you said the info is hidden in the EULA, I suggest you read them.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  16. elapsed

God I love these full blown conspiracy theorists, I'm aware of privacy myself, but this is just funny :) Well, I guess it's either that or yet another Microsoft Operating system user with an illogical hate for Microsoft. Both are assumptions but i bet one is close.

But since you're blowing this way out of proportion, considering I've already linked you the post which shows that MS don't "spy" on you, I guess I should too.

Anyway, let's see some Avira privacy at http://www.avira.com/en/privacy.html

17. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I love Microsoft. I just don't like when people make obvious false statements and don't expect people to call them on it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Updated to version 1901. Sorry, dont have changelog but noticed nothing new.

19. Fly

Fly Registered Member

#41:

That's why I don't like PAID security software. Although buying something in a box in a local shop can circumvent some of these issues.

Anyway, compared to its competitors, Avira's privacy policy is strong. Or less weak, if you prefer.

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

This was posted on the beta board.

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

How on earth do threads go this far off the path? Look guys, where do you think the numbers come from that get reported in "biggest threat" lists/articles? If they didn't collect anything at all, we'd all probably have lesser programs securing us. As far as personal information, that's a battle long over. They collect it, get over it. What people fail to realize is that 99.99% of all these programs have one thing in common: registration.

You have to give them SOME kind of personal information to register, so at the very least they have an e-mail address which they WILL turn over to 3rd parties for money/statistical purposes. That's digital-age business and it's here to stay. Can we get back to "MSE ongoing BETA" now? :)

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

my tray icon was orange this morning telling me to upgrade. Pretty cool since they couldnt even update before the beta.:)

23. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Hmmm... I had to uninstall the beta and go back the the official release. I have several hundred images in my Libraries\Pictures. It takes anywhere from 1 -3 mins to get the thumbnails to show up when I first open that folder. It's almost like Windows is rebuilding the icon cache. All other folders open fine. Anyone else seeing this with the beta?

Also, anyone asked to reboot after the upgrade? Seem like some people were and some weren't. I was requested to reboot.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yes I was asked to reboot, for free.;)

25. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

The initial beta and final versions did that to me among other explorer slow downs Vistax64. I uninstalled mine shortly after upgrading to Win7x64. It's talked about some in this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1599100#post1599100

This is to the letter what it did with my pc. From the initial beta, to the final, to the ongoing beta.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.