MS Windows 8: speculation picks up

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

The tablet version will have to be. Though, I wouldn't count on the desktop version being much lighter, I guess time will tell.

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Just because someone has lots of beta releases does not mean their product quality is no good. I have more confidence in companies that have many beta releases than those that only have a few. Don't get me wrong! Microsoft is great, but why knock Mozilla for having many beta releases? Maybe they just want to make sure they get it right before it released to the public. Also, Mozilla does not charge for their products.

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I don't understand the compulsion to constantly compare Microsoft and Mozilla to make Microsoft look better, considering the financial assets of both, but whatever makes one happy.

And, as you rightly point out, Mozilla's products are freeware and open source and based on community feedback and benefit from RERO.

4. elapsed

You mistake quantity of betas for quality of betas, when really one is directly affected by the other. I can't fathom how one wouldn't understand that many betas means consistent failure to get it right, short of where new features are being added and require testing.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

6. elapsed

That has nothing to do with Windows 8 as far as I can see, however:

Windows 8 to use SmartScreen for file checking

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-to-use-smartscreen-for-file-checking

Bringing the awesomeness of SmartScreen directly to Windows :thumb:

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Just like dragging in Mozilla and the number of betas, okay :D

8. elapsed

Sorry hero, it had everything to do with it when the discussion was raised half a year ago. Not my fault if someone bumps that discussion by quoting it.

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Even if Win 8 comes out next summer I'm sticking with Win 7 on my desktop. No particular reason ... *cough* I remember Vista *cough* ;)

10. elapsed

That would be the wisest thing to do, wait for teething issues to be resolved. However, I'll probably be testing the beta since it's free then keep a hold of that for a while.

11. Daveski17

Yeah, ya gotta watch those teething issues with M$! ;)

12. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

You mean there is something wrong with beta testing on the public?
    Being a programmer I can understand the complexity of writing an OS
    and getting it right the 1st time with the thousands of combinations out there.
    Still we do not need a new OS every other year so it seems.
    Seems to me the changes are only cosmetic and cause me headaches in my
    habits from the older OS.
    Then there is Linuz with it's 10,000 distros. Command line oriented thinking from
    years past. Oh well I will suffer with whatever happens I guess.

13. Daveski17

Well, not if you admit it's a beta in the first place unlike *cough* Vista! ;)

Yeah, I mean MS seemed to get Win 7 right, I like it anyway, I've been running it about 6 months. To think that by next summer it will probably be obsolete is enough to drive anyone to Linux!

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

What will make Windows 7 "obsolete"? Facial recognition for logging in (think of the ways in which that could be abused)? Faster start-up time, which has more to do with programs loading up at boot than anything else? The sudden need to integrate the X-Box? A ribbon (which everyone hates) in Explorer?

1. None of those would make Windows 7 obsolete. All but the X-Box deal can probably be accomplished right now through 3rd party apps.

2. Windows 8 is in the early alpha stages, and MS often ends up delaying features or tossing them out.

3. Windows 8 release is more than likely two years down the road. That's a long time for ideas to get scrapped, the OS to get better or worse (especially more bloated, which seems to be where it is heading), and for further Windows 7 adoption to take place. By the time home users are on Windows 8, businesses will just be getting settled into Windows 7 and complaining about something not supporting them again.

15. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i kinda like the idea of having facial recognition, dont have an xbox myself so that part doesnt really matter to me but i could see how many would like it, and i dont hate the ribbon interface, im not in love with it but its acceptable IMO.

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm hoping that, along with these new integrations come security enhancements. I'd really hate to see X-Box become the new hacker tool, lol.

17. Daveski17

That's just plain scary ... :eek:

Phew! Thank god for that. :)

I wonder if all of this talk about Win 8 is to further distance people's minds from Vista. I mean if people are talking about Win 8 maybe they will forget all about Vista or XP. ;)

It still seems a mite quick quick after Win 7.

LOL! :D Too right mate.

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Is there going to be Vista Mode or something like that?

19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Marketing.

20. elapsed

Yes, marketing. Just like Canonical release a new version of Ubuntu every other year, for marketing....

I'm sure you'd be happy in a world where we all stayed on XP forever but some of us like having and using the latest and greatest technology available. A proper release cycle and lengthy beta phase ensures that we never again become stuck in an "XP" situation.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Try every 6 months.... ;)

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Having a Win7 license equates to having the ability to read minds and the license to pass personal comments.

23. Daveski17

Yes, but that's freeware isn't it?

*Cough* Vista *Cough* ;)

24. elapsed

So being freeware gives you the right to move forwards with technology but wanting to be paid for your work does not..? :D

You've clearly misunderstood because Vista was no where near an "XP situation" considering its market share. Do you think people are going to be stuck on Vista for years? I highly doubt it, it will die faster than XP will.

25. Daveski17

I'm not sure quite what you mean. I'm sure Canonical make a profit, so they obviously get 'paid'. I know M$ need to make their billions. ;)

I've clearly misunderstood why M$ released Vista for a very short period of time compared to XP. I've also clearly misunderstood why M$ decided to knock it on the head & replace it with Win 7 so abruptly. I've also clearly misunderstood why people bought computers with Vista on them & expected M$ to support them for a decent amount of time. I've clearly misunderstood the need for M$ to distance themselves from the aforementioned Vista OS & try to make people forget about it by marketing Win 8 so early.

In fact, if Vista wasn't ready to release, I've completely unclearly misunderstood why M$ released it so early in the first place.

How un-perspicacious of me! o_O ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.