Ms Messenger Alternative

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hans 01, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hans 01

Hans 01 Registered Member

HI, I'm not overly impressed with Ms Messengers intrusive behaviour and have been told an alternative called ICQ is perhaps the answer. I was also told ICQ is "better" than Messenger.
    Before jumping into ICQ, I'd appreciate comments from all you experienced people re ICQ's
    - Intrusive behaviour (pop-ups, cockies, etc).
    - Versatility and userfriendliness.
    - Any security / privacy concerns with ICQ.
    Pls answer in plain English, I'm not very computer literate.
    Thanks,
    / H

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You can read reviews on ICQ here

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi Hans 01 :)

U will undoubtedly get a lot of different opinions here. :)

I myself have ICQ, MSN Messenger and also Yahoo Chat. Out of all of them i prefer ICQ. It's very easy to use and has nice features

File sharing is the biggest danger in any internet chat, but i don't do that so it not a problem here. ;)

If u like u can download a program called Trillian that incorperates all these apps into to one program. I think AIM is in there too.

snowbound

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Can download trillian here.trillian I have used trillian in the past and as snowbound mentioned you can use aol/msn/yahoo/icq messengers all through the trillian program.

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Trillian has some great features, just keep in mind you'll need to be registered with each IM service (usually when you download and install the respective client software) that you want to access through it. I played with it for a while, but since ICQ's my only IM, I didn't see any point keeping both of them installed.

The main advantage of Trillian is that it's an all-in-one "control center" for all your IM accounts, so you don't have to keep several applications open at once, or close one and open another when you want to switch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.