MS and/or Windows updates!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I suspect you have all been through this: You have updates notice, you begin the download, then the installation, only to discover the installation failed. Then you start jumping through hoops, you search the problem, find a fix on tech forums somewhere (uninstall this, reinstall this, enter this dll, etc.). Well a few days ago I install the new IE7 version (I really only use Ff and I wonder why?!) and for the next few days the update icon appears in the notification area (for security update KB.....43). I initiate the download and it goes away, only to reappear after the next boot. Installations from the update site also prove unsuccessful and indeed the log file shows all these failures. I have updates configured to notify me only, so I figure maybe if I just change it to auto it would work (never had to do that , however). Well when I went to change my settings there was the option to use Windows update instead of MS update, I selected that and to my amazement the update went off flawlessly! So now when I check the update page there is this typical MS add for "NEW Get Microsoft Update Now". So my question is: do I stay with Windows update and what do you all use?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Last I used one, it was Microsoft Update. I no longer use it since I integrate updates into my XP CD.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I recently re-installed my computer from scratch, because I needed a collection of clean images.
    The installation was based on my original WinXPproSP2 Installation CD, which I bought in March 2006.

I executed Windows Update on a test image and I have an arrear of 83 updates according Windows Update and it doubled the volume of my test image.

I still have doubts if I need these updates or not.
    I always reboot in the SAME system partition, because my frozen system partition doesn't allow any change and that keeps all the objects, installed on my system partition, CLEAN and working properly : registry, folders and files.

So why do I need this Windows Update, when I always reboot in an unchanged system partition o_O
    If I do Windows Update, the volume of my system partition will increase with 50% and my computer will be slower.

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

The uninstall files [to uninstall the updates] in the Windows folder pile up to hundreds of MB in a short time,i always delete these files because its almost never needed.I guess the updates themself are small in comparison

5. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

With nLite'ned XP, you could probably whittle that list down a little more. WMP, MSN-mess, IE7, OE and the like, are a fair amount of patches...or is that the thinned-out numbero_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.