MRU Blaster released

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by Paul Wilders, Oct 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

holly mollly i know what that is omg i been waiting all my cyber life to get ahold of something like that =) woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooo
    some body actualy made it about time im almost in tears.

i hate looking at my recently opend and deleted stuff on the start menue under documents is that what where talking about here?

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Basically, that's what this does (on some versions of Windows, it gets different things - but the database is always being updated with more and more items).

Currently, MRU-Blaster targets a lot of things you DONT see too (but that keep track of what you have opened, etc). Many programs' MRUs, such as Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, etc are also in the database.

I would give it a try - you might be surprised at how much it finds. :)

-Javacool

3. Mr.Blaze

gaspppppppppppppppp 349 object my god and all this time i thioght my system was clean thx god for MRU Blaster thx javacool

4. Mr.Blaze

will it found 349 things but still didnt clean deleted programs or recently viewed folders in start button im runing windows me lol might want to check it out next update =)

5. javacool

I'll definitely check it out. :)

If you are referring to the items listed under the "Documents" menu, you may want to try rebooting - the items *might* disappear then (sometimes, certain lists also get stored in memory).

-Javacool

6. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Javacool - Three quick questions/suggestions:

(a) Can MRUB be made to where you don't have to un-install the program each time you update it? It would be faster and easier that way, given the frequency of the updates, if you could just load in the new versions "over the top" .

(b) Can the program be made to run resident? So that it would remove the MRU's as they appear, without waiting for a start-up or shut-down?

(c) Question: I've clicked on "MRU-Blaster Silent Clean" in the Start/Programs menu - is it now automatically cleaning MRU's at both start-up and shutdown? (Cleans the ones on-board at shut-down, then checks it again at the next start-up?)

7. Ghost

Ghost Guest

AND, since you've mentioned that some of the MRU's show back up after a couple of hours, can you incorporate an 'automatically run every two hours' feature into the program?

8. javacool

(a) I'm working on it. :)

(b) Possibly - I'll look into it (I may have to make a separate "resident" version.

(c) The silent clean shortcut is just a sample - you would have to place it in your "startup" folder and also schedule it to run before your computer shuts down. You could also use Windows Scheduled Tasks to schedule it to run every 2 hours (or at whatever interval you wish).

Again, a possible feature - I'll look into it. You can also just use the scheduled tasks method above, until then. :)

-Javacool

9. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Need a checkbox on the main interface for "Autorun at computer start-up' with the further option to 'Automatically remove all'.

If it can't run resident for whatever reason, another checkbox for 'Run and Remove MRU's every two hours'.

"Set it and forget it" is my aim here.

10. javacool

Database update (10/10/02) and program update (v1.3)

Details available here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=4132

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/mrublaster.html

Enjoy! :D

-Javacool

11. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Javacool - wow :D

is it a "dumb" question to ask :"do we have to uninstall first o_O"

12. javacool

No, you do not have to uninstall first. The new installer does it automatically for you. :)

-Javacool

13. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Javacool

thanks for the prompt reply ;) You are SUPER :cool:

14. yorkdale

yorkdale Registered Member

I'm having trouble with this program. Just got it yesterday (and the newest release today), and it doesn't clean my Office 2000 MRUs. In fact, it doesn't even see them, even though I have them checked to be scanned under Settings. This is a critical area for me - any ideas what's wrong? o_O

15. javacool

I will take another look at Office 2000 (some users have reported success, however). It may be possible that the MRUs are being stored in another location.

The software is always being improved and updated - those Office 2002 MRUs will be a priority on my "hit list". :)

-Javacool

16. yorkdale

yorkdale Registered Member

Thanks Javacool! Look forward to seeing what else you come up with. :cool:

17. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Just installed it, and it looks slick! :)

Thanks!

I haven't done any in depth testing but two things that MRUblaster appeared to miss are the RunMRU and the Google toolbar history.

Now the second I understand, and I suppose it's going to follow later, but what about the RunMRU?

It's such a basic thing. Am I doing anything wrong?

Win 98 SE here, BTW

18. TonyKlein

BTW, I have Run MRU checked in Settings, of course.

And I just discovered that I also have 9 items remaining in the Find Files History (Doc Find Spec MRU)

Ant that was after running MRUblaster once again.

What's happening?

[edit]I must add, that MRUblaster did not find anything in the Run or Find FilesMRU when scanning.[/edit]

19. javacool

The Run MRU is part of the database, and it should be getting removed. The items still appear in the "Run..." dialog until a reboot (they are stored in memory). But they should be gone after you reboot your PC. :)

Regards,

-Javacool

P.S. I'll have to install the Google toolbar on one of my test machines to get its history (thanks for the posting on it). It should be included in the database soon, with any luck. :)

20. TonyKlein

But it didn't list anything to be cleaned there.

It didn't mention the RunMRU or the Find Files MRU list.
    It did mention Streams, Wordpad history, and something else.

However, I'll reboot and will post back.

21. javacool

Would you mind rebooting and then seeing if there are any items in the Run MRU?

TIA.

EDIT: It is quite possible that the Run MRUs are being stored in yet another location in the registry.

-Javacool

22. javacool

The Find Files MRU list is not yet included in the database - my apologies for the oversight (it should be included in the next update).

-Javacool

23. TonyKlein

I rebooted, and as you predicted, the Run history was gone. :)

However, Find Files history is still there.

[edit] Aha, that explains! :D

OK, thanks for the heads up!

I'll see what else I can come up with! LOL

Cheers,

24. javacool

Looking forward to it. :D

-Javacool

25. TonyKlein

Javacool,

What about the following:

C:\Windows\Recent (a vital one, I think)

And my Office 9.0 recently used files: C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent

Or does it do registry entries only?

And does it do the FindComputer MRU? (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FindComputerMRU)

Also, SpyBot dug up these:

Windows Explorer: User Assistant history files( (3 files)) (Registry key)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{75048700-EF1F-11D0-9888-006097DEACF9}\Count

Windows Explorer: User Assistant history IE( (128 files)) (Registry key)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{5E6AB780-7743-11CF-A12B-00AA004AE837}\Count

Cheers,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.