Mr. or Mrs. Computer

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by dog, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

Mr. or Mrs. Computer

Is your computer male of female? As you are aware, ships have long been characterized as being female (e.g., "Steady as she goes", or "She's listing to starboard, Captain!" Recently a group of computer scientists (all males) announced that computers should also be referred to as being female. Their reasons for drawing this conclusions follow:

1. No one but the creator understands their internal logic.

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else.

3. The message "Bad command or file name" is about as informative as "If you don't know why I'm mad at you, then I'm certainly not going to tell you."

4. Even your smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for later retieval.

5. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.

However, another group of computer scientists (all female) claim that computers should be referred to as if they were male. Their reasons follow:

1. They have lots of data but are still clueless.

2. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they are the problem.

3. As soon as you commit to one you realise that, if you had waited a little longer, you could have obtained a better model.

4. In order to get their attention, you have to turn them on.

5. Big power surges knock them out for the rest of the night.

2. Vaudeville

Vaudeville Registered Member

Lol, that was pretty funny .. never thought about referring to my computer as a male or female ..

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Surely you of all people(?) must be aware of one idea MS was playing with for a while to fix that one up:

Bad command! Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! :D :D

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

LOL Good one Dog!

Some of mine are male and some are female you just have to work with it for a while (or build it) to find out.
    Just be careful not to put the two different computers too close together.
    That's how baby computers are made. :D

5. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi dog
    thats a good one :D
    Rita

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.