Mozy - Feature I Don't Like

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by LenC, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

When I have deleted a file off my computer, I've noticed it stays on the Mozy server well past 30 days. They advertise that deleted files will be removed from their server after 30 days.

So I really have no control over when they remove files - I can't live with that.

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

What are you wanting here, someone to agree with you, or someone that just reads useless posts? In the case of the former, "rabble, rabble rabble". In the case of the latter, too bad. You obviously posted this for a reason, so I'll do my best to help you even though you didn't ask for anything.

You said Mozy, not Mozy Pro. That tells me that you are being cheap and bought into their advertising departments crap they spew every chance they get. You get what you pay for. Live with it. If you are actually paying for Mozy Pro, stop. Find yourself a better service, such as Humyo, SugarSync, SpiderOak, My Other Drive, Carbonite, ADrive, IDrive, or Jungle Disk. All of these are better than Mozy.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Sorry for what you consider a useless post. I was pointing out a feature of the system to warn others.

I will carefully read your posts in the future and point out when I consider them useless as they usually are.

4. n8chavez

I didn't mean to upset you, but it should not be up to our imaginations what you are opening a thread about. What else is one supposed to conclude when you start a thread that doesn't ask anything? Either you are just venting, in which case the thread should be closed. Or, you forgot to give us the point of the thread; e.g., ask a question. I assumed the latter.

If you would like to discuss online backup solutions as a whole please let me know.

I get angry when people post for no reason it an attempt to jack up their post count. It gives the illusion to other that they know what they are talking about, which is not always the case.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  5. LenC

LenC Registered Member

This is a useless post.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You're both uselessly wasting space by your bickering that isn't even going anywhere. Now, LenC, did you shoot an email to Mozy support about it before coming here and telling us about the issue? If so, what did they tell you, if anything? If not, why? We certainly can't delete the file for you. If you're unhappy with the service, give http://www.adrive.com/ a try. They give 50Gb worth of free space and it is one of the more recommended services from Gizmos' freeware listings.

7. n8chavez

I suggested ADrive, did I not?

8. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I contacted Mozy support by email. They replied that files are deleted on a "random basis", and my deleted files would eventually be deleted from their server. They also offered to delete specific files immediately if I sent them a list. That would mean I would have to keep contacting them from time to time with a new "delete list", which isn't a workable long term solution.

So, I was impressed with their responsiveness and offer to help, but this feature of their system just bothers me.

Issue closed - I cancelled the account.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

So you did. Now it's up to LenC to test these out.

10. n8chavez

If you want greater control over your data, please check out the services I listed above.

11. chilipepr

chilipepr Registered Member

MozyHome works pretty well for me ? on both Mac and Windows. If you ever need it, their 2nd level support is good.

Use the following link to get 20% more space (512 Mb) on a free MozyHome 2 Gb account:

https://mozy.com/?code=D685JF

12. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Thank you. Actually it worked fine and they were quite responsive when I contacted them. I just have a problem with a feature of their program - I can't delete files from their server. If I delete a file on my computer, it is EVENTUALLY deleted from their server, but I can't control that process or when it happens.

That's the only reason why I've stopped using it.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

13. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Take a look at IDRIVE. IT will let you sync your backup to your PC so anything deleted on the PC gets deleted right away on the backup. IDRIVE has been working well for me for a couple of years.

14. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I'm thinking of using SpiderOak on my new setup instead of MozyHome because of this issue - when I did a Web download of all my MozyHome data, some (perhaps all) deleted files were included, including some files deleted far more than 30 days ago.

15. n8chavez

I'm with you on that one. I would hate to have system images stored there, and have them deleted because there is no link to my system and it has been over 30 days.

SpiderOak is good. However, their software is a little weird in that it backs up by categories, not directories. Also there is no mobile access or multimedia streaming. If you want those features check out Humyo or LiveDrive.

16. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

One can do this with SpiderOak. However, because SpiderOak doesn't know what's in your data (not even filenames), and because deleted files don't count as far as account usage is concerned, there may not be any good reason to actually do so with SpiderOak.

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding Adrive it looks like you have to pay if you want their front-end software. If you use a free account how do you actually upload/download files? Does Adrive map a drive letter to the online storage?

18. hsj

hsj Registered Member

Upload is done via the browser. You must have java installed in order to upload "folders" or you can use the "simple" uploader (also via the browser) which only allows you to select files one by one. If you have ever uploaded anything to Facebook then you know what I am talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.