Mozilla Labs proposes eternal hell and damnation for FF users

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Announcements like these do not further the confidence in the Mozilla Project as a whole.

Many are actively looking for alternative software as I write this as these news bits from Mozilla seem to be more of a trend than current news.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, heck, I even remember when it was called Phoenix 0.5 before that. Lightning fast and promising...

3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

First, for me, Opera gets destroyed.
    Now this news about Firefox makes me wonder when they plan to destroy SeaMonkey, which up to now is working just fine. For sure nicer than Firefox I see on some of my friend's boxes.

Hey, the trend is socialize, share, put all your data into some unknown servers, obfuscate normal functions behind a bunch of colorful squares (windows) and on and on. Maybe is time to buy a wire clipper for the eth cable.

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I'd completely forgotten that name. Think I still have a copy of that on old CD backups.
    That thought has crossed my mind repeatedly. Problem is, without the internet, the only source of news becomes the regular media, which doesn't tell you half of the story or is completely slanted. Like everything else, another tradeoff.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Opera hasn't been destroyed, technically it's been transformed into a Chrome impersonator. ;)

I'm using SeaMonkey as I write this, these days if I'm not in Maxthon I'm in SeaMonkey. I've been using SM for at least 5 years. The SeaMonkey Council are not really part of Mozilla & principally just utilise Firefox's rendering engine (Gecko).

The SM Council are opposed to change for change's sake as far as I can tell & won't even put buttons on individual tabs to allow them to be clicked off (this has been proposed for in about:config). There are some good extensions for SM (NoScript & ABP are regularly updated) & some nice skins/themes. Many of the K-Meleon users have transferred to SM & probably many Opera users.

My point being, I doubt that SeaMonkey will incorporate anything like Mozilla are proposing for Firefox. It would really go against their entire philosophy.

6. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

So what browser you use again? Sea Monkey? I might have to give it a try if FF continues going that way.

7. Daveski17

Give it a spin. :thumb:

SeaMonkey 2.19

8. Orhin

Orhin Guest

Seamonkey.. Was like Palemoon at first in my list of possible Future Browsers, but Mozilla tries so hard to destroy Gecko because of their new dedicated love of how Google Products work that it is only a matter of time until stuff like Australis also lands in Palemoon or Seamonkey.

I am sure that Mozilla would not be too pleased to allow other projects using a different look, so many things have changed at Mozilla for the worse, i seriously do not believe they make it easy for Projects which share basically the same code.

Therefor i have decided to completly dump all Gecko related Browsers and now i use Midori :D

Perhaps i have no Add-Ons and Themes, but it is still a browser full of customizations, i can choose to have 2 different search engines in the url bar and search bar element.

Things which do not work anymore / do not work anymore in the future with Gecko related projects - but instead on a Webkit Browser... Well, this made my choice rather easy :)

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, not to get too far offtopic, but amazingly enough, you can still get it here, for Win, Linux or OS/2. Lol...

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/0.5.html

10. Daveski17

I think there is quite some time left before SM changes, if it changes.

11. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Regarding closing individual tabs on SM, a middle click does that.

That stability is one of the things I like most about SeaMonkey. Most all of the extensions I use work well on it. Been testing Autoproxy on SM. So far, working flawlessly with Tor.

If SeaMonkey does start disregarding users wishes like FireFox is doing, I'll stay with the last version that behaves or look into upgrading individual files if it's for bugs I'd consider critical. Since the majority of upgrades are minor bug fixes and small changes like the 3rd party cookie option they added, I'm not that concerned with keeping it up to date.

12. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i think we're almost there, if not already.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Well, ill keep using Chrome.
    Yeah, i know Google tracks me . . . :rolleyes:

14. moontan

moontan Registered Member

they might track me but at least it's got sandboxing. ;) lol

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha with so many Google services i dont even know how i could avoid them completely. :D
    But i think im fine, i could be just another of the zillions users they have.

16. Consumer data collection and data mining is a fact of live: it finances the www infrastructure (targeted advertising) and reduces our costs for living (loyalty programs are consumption tracking progams)

E.g. I opted in anonymously to a large Dutch loyalty program. When you buy at stores related to this program, you earn air miles. At the same time they track your consumption.

This card initially also helped to optimize logistics for my local outlet of a large supermarket chain (increase their profit, while offering lower proces to me, made sure the things I buy are available when I shop). But be realistic, modern supermarket chains registrate real time what we buy and where. When you pay by card, they allready have you identified. So in real life my 'data' is also 'mined', with or without anonymous opt-in of this customer loyalty program.

As long as these 'personalisation' services can be opted out, I think it is okay. Only the tone of voice of those announcements make me sceptic, because of the one sided argumentation: the user benefits of personalisation are allways over emphasized.

17. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/07/26/mozilla-proposes-that-browsers-share-user-interests-with-websites/

18. Daveski17

Not on a track pad. ;)

If you install checkCompatibility 1.3 it solves a lot of incompatibility problems. This extension was developed for SM for this purpose & was primarily a response to the rapid Gecko upgrading cycle.

The SeaMonkey Council have only recently added the ability to open tabs in private windows (still a bit beta) so they aren't exactly the dedicated followers of fashion. SeaMonkey is not Mozilla, it just uses the same Gecko engine that Fx does.

19. Daveski17

Yes, I do think that we shouldn't get swept up in a wave of hysteria over this, & I agree with you to some extent that this does indeed finance much of the web, but I can also understand some of the anxieties over 'personalisation'.

20. guest

guest Guest

Lol, believe it or not, sometimes I find the tracking is quite helpful. For example, I was looking for an image viewer, I've searched the whole internet and tried many, yet still haven't find the one that fits my needs. Then suddenly I saw an ad of a certain image viewer. Decided to try it, then voila...! Found what I want. :D

21. tlu

tlu Guest

There are various counter-measures to prevent that.

22. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

i tried to make a comment on that blog, mentioning that mozilla currently gets about 90% of its income from google ($300-$400 million per year iirc) but they dont seem to allow any more posts. i didnt see "comments closed" anywhere on there.

23. guest

guest Guest

Selfishy :ouch: (selfish and fishy). You know, things probably would be better if they didn't declare things like: We proudly non-profit! We respect your privacy! Let's stop NSA's tracking! Wa blah blah blah! :cautious:

24. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

how much money does it take to run Mozilla? $300-$400 means someone is lining their pockets as CEO etc

25. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Damn all those leechers. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.