Mozilla Firefox 29.0 Final

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NICK ADSL UK, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Krusty, just in case I did not explain myself well before, this is how I am able to change the setting to "Never remember history" (from Use custom settings for history) and make it stick: In Options>Privacy, change the setting to "Remember history", after you restart the browser, the browser now that is set to "Remember history, making the change to "Never remember history" sticks for good.

If the above don't work for you, you can always create a new Firefox profile and go from there. On a new profile, Firefox is set to Remember history. If you were using Sandboxie you could play and play with those settings while running sandboxed until you get it to work for you. Then after you know what to do to get it right, you do it outside the sandbox. Thats how I found that the above works perfectly for me.

Bo

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yeah Bo, you explained yourself just fine. That's what I tried but the setting will not stick. Next time I close / open FF the settings has changed back again. I think perhaps because SpywareBlaster populates the blocked cookie list it could be prevently the setting to stick.

I've found previously that if I uninstall FF, leaving behind my settings and favourites then reinstalling FF, that seems to do the trick - at least for a while. I've done that now and so far so good (he says while keeping his fingers firmly crossed).

4. bo elam

Krusty, before Sandboxie, I use to experience this problem every once in a while. That was until I found that by clicking File>Exit to close the browser instead of clicking the red X, the problem pretty much disappeared. You might like to try that to see if it makes a difference for you.

Bo

5. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

siljaline's find has Pale Moon with a lot of yes boxes marked.. I'm thinking the folks at Mozilla should reconsider what their trying to do to Firefox.. I'm using version 28 can't use 29 and feel comfortable.. *puppy*

6. siljaline

29.0.1 with the Australis add-on works fine here and your FF is security-current. As to what Mozilla will do next is anyone's guess.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

8. bo elam

J R, I am testing Firefox 30 Beta 9 in my W7 right this moment. As you might remember, reproducing the problem in W7 is very easy for me, all I have to do is set Firefox as in the picture. While using the beta, I closed Firefox already about 10 times and all has gone well. As far as I can tell, the above issue is fixed.:)

I am testing the beta using a new Firefox profile. Sin título.jpg

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thanks Bo! That sounds encouraging. :thumb:

FYI. Firefox 30 is Scheduled to be released June 10th.

10. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Installed FF 30 beta 9 in Windows 8 Pro – with only 'Clear history on Exit' enabled (Use custom settings)

Firefox now shuts down OK!

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thanks Krysis! Sounds good. :)

12. bo elam

Yes, it is. My testing lasted for a few hours with no Firefox still running whatsoever. My addons (NoScript, Adblock plus and Classic theme restorer) did not cause an issue either. And Firefox worked great under Sandboxie.

So it seems to me that on June 10th, I will be able to set Firefox exactly as I wish instead of having to set it with my second choice (Never remember history).:cool:

I didn't test the beta on XP since on my XP, I can set Firefox as I wish with no issue at all.

Bo

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  13. siljaline

14. bo elam

Hi siljaline, I am not sure if you are talking to me but if you are. I don't ever experience this issue in my XP. But on W7 I have Firefox set in a way in which the issue doesn't occur at all. But I know exactly how to set my Firefox in W7 to reproduce it. In my personal case, this issue is non existent for me as I haven't experienced a Firefox not running in at least a couple of years, probably longer.

But a few months ago, I discovered that is easy for me to reproduce the problem when I switch Firefox from Never remember history to Use custom settings for history. So I just kept using Never remember history (w7). In XP, I left settings in Use custom settings for history and to this day, haven't had any problems.

I play all the time with new profiles under Sandboxie and I did start using a new one when I upgraded to Firefox 29. When Firefox 29 came out, I installed Classic theme restorer and it is recommended to do so when the addon is installed.

Bo

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  15. siljaline

Firefox History.png

Yes, Bo - I was responding to your issue. Other than a full reset or complete reinstallation, I don't see why Firefox custom history settings could be so disruptive.

Tweaked the wrong way would allow sites to see you at every visit and so on. You might consider bringing this to the attention of Mozilla if you feel your situation merits it.

My custom history settings - you may not want to do this at home.

16. bo elam

Hi Siljaline, for years I have had Firefox set to "Never remember history". Using that setting, my Firefox exits perfectly in both of my computers. But a few months ago, I discovered that if I set history as in the picture that I posted in reply#158, clearing history works out better for me. So I changed settings in my XP and all went well. Then a few days later when I tried to do the same in W7, right away, I experienced the "Firefox still running issue". It was immediate, not something that I had to try over and over to reproduce. So I moved settings back to Never remember history and all is well.

Sometime later, I read this link posted by J R which basically states that there is an issue when users set Firefox to "clear history when Firefox closes". This particular issue probably started around February. I tested Firefox 30 beta yesterday and I could not reproduce the issue anymore in my W7. So as far as I can tell, its fixed
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1005487

The way you have your settings, you should not be able to reproduce the problem that is affecting some users at this time.

Bo

17. siljaline

18. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

I have had a few crashes with 29.0.1.
    I have sent each crash report off to Mozilla. I hope they fix it.

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

siljaline, if you follow your provided link, you'll see that those notes were written on May 9th. Since then, those two unresolved issues (966469 and 985655) were discovered not to affect the FF29 "already running" warning bug, and both of those will be worked on at a later date. FF30 fixes the warning bug.

20. siljaline

Let's see if the bugs are cleared by Mozilla with FF 30.0 on June 10 :isay:

21. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

22. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Majorgeeks posted the RC yesterday.

23. siljaline

Firefox is already running.png

The RC or Firefox Beta 30.0 doesn't show the "Firefox is already running" bugs as being fixed.

24. bo elam

Siljaline, your little picture was taken from Releases notes for Beta 30 from May 1, 2014. The issue that I tested and can confirm (at least on my W7) that it is fixed was bug #1005487, not on your picture but its shown as unresolved in the May 1 release notes. This particular (1005487) bug was fixed after May 1, probably when Firefox 30 Beta 8 was released.
    http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/30.0beta/releasenotes/

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1005487

Bo

25. siljaline

Thanks, Bo.

Not being a Mozilla expert I can only cite what I find elsewhere and observe myself.

I guess we'll see what fleshes out with Firefox 30.0 on June 10.

Good luck with your issue and do reach out to Mozilla if you must.

You may reach out socially:
    https://twitter.com/mozilla
    https://twitter.com/firefox

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.