Moving Opera 9 Bookmarks File To Another Partition

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by huntnyc, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Did this on XP but forgot what I did. I want to move my Opera bookmarks file to Drive E instead of C but do not know how I did this on XP. Now, I am on Vista. Can someone help me with this and thank you. Also, can I move other data folders like sessions and toolbars to other dirve?

Gary

2. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

I dont know exactly how it works from xp to vista but you could take a look at this little backup tool for Opera:
    http://my.opera.com/VJgamer/blog/operafly
    the created backup file can be extracted with Winrar, take a look at the files needed.

3. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

If I remember correctly, you open "Manage Bookmarks" right click in an empty space (ensuring no particular group of bookmarks are highlighted) and from the context menu go to File > Save As and save it to wherever you want to save it. You can confirm in "About Opera" under help, the bookmark folder should be listed wherever you saved it.
    Not sure about the other folders, but I don't see why not I suppose.

4. huntnyc

I think you are right about that one and I will try that first. Thanks.

Gary

5. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

1. Move the profile and mail folders to the new location.
    2. Specify the new location of the opera6.ini file by using the /settings switch in the shortcut properties.
    3. Edit opera6.ini and change various folder locations to the new locations.

6. huntnyc

Could you explain what you mean by /settings switch and how to use please and thanks.

Gary

7. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

When you right-click on the shortcut you use to launch Opera, click Properties, then find the Target textbox. Inside this textbox I have 'E:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe" /settings "F:\My Documents\Other\Program Data\Opera\profile\opera6.ini" '. This is how Opera knows where to find the opera6.ini settings file. You'll need to change the paths to accomodate your situation. You can place the opera6.ini file wherever you want.

8. huntnyc

Thanks much for that, a great help.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.