Mouse Movement Causes Reboot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by John Will, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Will

John Will Guest

I have version 8, build 786, and I am creating a boot disk on a Compaq Presario 5000 machine. Everything seems to go find, and the boot disk is created successfully. The disk boots, and the Acronis recovery program is sitting waiting.

As soon as I move the mouse, the system reboots!

The interesting thing is that if I don't use the mouse, I can use the keyboard to navigate and actually operate the program.

I tried two different mice, both USB and PS/2, it does the same thing. I generated another CD in safe mode, and it still has the same problem.

What's next?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/johnwill10/misc_files/my_signature3.bmp

2. ajahawkes

ajahawkes Guest

I have exactly the same problem with Dell Dimension 2100. Anyone got any ideas?

Also did it when I browsed the network using the keyboard and tried to connect to a password protected resource. However, manually typing in the resource brought up a password box and we were away.

One thought could it be anything to do with P&P BIOS being set to OS aware. Might be worth swapping to BIOS controlled P&P.

Adan

3. John Will

John Will Guest

Glad to hear I'm not the only victim. :) I sent off a support request to Acronis, maybe they'll have an official response. o_O

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

5. John Will

John Will Guest

Well, here's the response I got from Acronis support, seems they don't think the problem is solved yet. They also don't have an estimate when I might see an update that will fix it. :(

An additional issue is that I purchased this for a client, and I'm giving him back his computer, so I won't have it to tinker with. He currently uses Norton GHOST, but I've had issues with the USB dropping back to USB 1.1 speeds, so I figured I'd try a different backup solution. I've also tried this version on one of my shop systems, and the boot CD works fine, no mouse issues. It's obviously something specific to certain hardware combinations, but I won't have the configuration around to do further testing. I may have to track this thread and wait for ajahawkes to solve his problem, and see if it also solves mine. Of course, that means I don't solve this guy's problem until a solution is found. Not exactly a positive first experience with True Image. :ninja:

The support response:

Dear John,

Please accept my apologies for inconvenience. This ISO can not fix your problem. Could you please wait the realize of the next build. I afraid we have no time frames for that. It will be available at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/ in nearest future.

Thank you.
    --
    Sincerely yours,
    Konstantin Karikov

6. ajahawkes

ajahawkes Registered Member

Dear John

I got exactly the same response as you and am in the same position with a customer!! I too am obviously concerned that a new product can fail like that. I have a work around for the Dell Dimension (not plugging in a mouse) but I am struggling with VMware which has the same problem but you can't disconnect the mouse.

My plan with customers (I used to use Ghost to do this) is to image their PC and then get it up and running in VMWare so I can copy all their data back using the Microsoft File Settings and Transfer Wizard and then also check that their PC looks right. Also if they are missing anything I have an image of their PC which I can run up on VMWare anytime and then mail them anything that they feel they have lost.

In the meantime I have been using an ISO of Version 7 which they made available to me at

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/ISO/TrueImage7.0_na_s_e.iso

They subsequently asked me not to use it which may be because version 7 can't read V8 images so I have now had to re-image the Dimension using version 7. I don't know if version 8 read version 7 images?

What I have now found is that Acronise 7 doesn't seem to like VMWare disks and won't let me write to them. I guess it must be back to Ghost although the inremental backup features in Acronis seemed like a great idea for my customers.

Anyway - as requested I'll keep you informed of any changes in the situation.

It is not acceptable for me to have to keep checking for updates - please can you make sure that I am notified as soon as one is available.

I had purchased two copies, one for me and one for a customer who's PC I am re-building. I trust this can be resolved well because I was expecting to use your products regularly as they came highly recommended.

Adam

7. ajahawkes

ajahawkes Registered Member

Ignore the comment about not reading VMWare Disks - I only created a disk the size of the Image (3.5Gb) which was not big enough for the data from the original disk which is about (8Gb!)! Doh!

Adam

8. John Will

John Will Guest

I agree about the fact that continually checking back for updates is a PITA, why can't they just email when they fix the issue.

This seems like a significant issue, it's pretty surprising to me that it's not pretty high priority! Of course, I'm having some difficulty with the fact that as generic as mouse support is, that it would work on some machines, and not on others! How does something that basic get screwed up?

I don't think I care to be moving back to version 7, that seems to be a move in the wrong direction. I'm currently looking at other imaging solutions, I may yet have to buy into the new GHOST v9, based on PowerQuest's Drive Image.

9. bocsor

bocsor Guest

Have had the same problem. TI 8-774 boot disc worked fine on my machine, the TI 8-786 boot disc showed the same problem described above with mouse movement- on the same machine. It appears that Linux driver changes would be the culprit. Changing to BIOS controlled P&P made no difference.

10. Acronis Support

Hello all,

We do apologize for the problem.

In the latest 786 build of Acronis True Image were made some changes in mouse drivers that allowed to use more models of mice but affected some previously supported.

In order to fix the problem faster we need some diagnostic information. Please send the sysinfo.txt file (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 section II point b) and send to support@acronis.com along with the description of the problem and indicate that you want to contact Marian Fadeeva. This information will let our Development Team fix the problem sooner.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. AndyL

AndyL Guest

Same problem, this time with a PC compatible VME board. Still waiting for a solution, although it's no big deal for me. We don't image very often, and I can getaway with using the keyboard. BTY, the reason we moved to Acronis was because of Symantec screwing up Drive Image. We were very happy with that until Ghost 9 came out. We had lots of problems in restoring images, but the worst bit is the bootable CD - it takes FOREVER to boot. You could grow old and die waiting for it...and the support was worse that useless. Just my 2 cents (or 2p here in the UK).

12. Acronis Support

13. AndyL

AndyL Guest

I already did, a while back. I was just commenting....and disparaging Ghost 9 too, as it gave us so much grief...

14. John Will

John Will Guest

I would send the diagnostic info, but the machine that fails is a customer's machine, and it had to go back to him. I'm hoping that the issue is resolved so I can build him a new recovery CD that will allow the use of the mouse.

As someone else mentioned, it's not an emergency, since you can restore without the mouse, it's just a bit harder. :)

15. John Will

John Will Guest

Just wondered if any of the recent updates resolved this issue. Since my customer is some distance away, and I have to boot from the created recovery CD, I'm not eager to run over there and test it if it wasn't specifically addressed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.