Mounting Windows drives in Linux

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by djg05, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    A serious question: how many new Windows users could, within a day or two, be able to use msconfig with confidence, edit registry with confidence or disable services with confidence. The problem is that people that their skill for granted, forgetting it took them time, sweat, blood, and tears to achieve what they have achieved so far.
    Mastering Linux in a day is impossible. Giving up after a day is not a sign of a fighting spirit.
    Mrk

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i agree with that
    but just think how much better it is when people do get a better understanding of linux and can use it instead of windows and have a much better and more stable operating system.
    lodore

3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

That definetly is good, because without that file working, it would be impossible to install new applications, mount drives, do maintenance, etc.

Also, it is good to hear you are sticking with Linux. I almost gave up when my wireless network card needed to be configured with ndiswrapper since it wasn't natively supported by windows since the company wouldn't give them the source code to work off of. Also, configuring WPA by hand is a bit of a PITA, but thank goodness I stuck with it since it breathed new life into my 6 year old pc which now officially boots up faster then my one year old pc whose components are 3 times as good (but it runs windows). I really do find it to fit my needs better then windows, and you really can't beat the price ;)

As for security, you are good to go.

The ubuntu forums are a great place, with excellent support, and the same applies to gentoo and arch if you ever take the jump once you are more comfortable with linux.

Cheers

Alphalutra1

4. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

To get Windows up and running and access your drives you don't really have to.

I spent about 5 months a few years ago playing with Linux and I managed to get it all running but it was a hassle and in spite of a lot of help from various groups could never get it to run well on my particular machine. In fact 2k ran faster when I installed that instead.

There should not have to be this level of command level editing to get access to your basic data. In fact there is no need since some have developed scripts to do it for you but these are never presented when asking a question, instead you are always given the hard way to do it. I see now though that it is being built into some distros which is what it should be.

5. Mrkvonic

Hello,

You do realize that in Linux you actually control the OS - from the basic level. Furthermore, if you lack a driver in Linux, there are workarounds. What do you do if you don't have a driver in Windows? You're screwed.

And I have personally installed Linuxes that completely detected all hardware - only Nvidia driver needed to be installed separately. Pure simple plug 'n' enjoy.

BTW, my Windows installation on a M2V mobo was also sorely lacking in drivers. Not even network. What would I have done without the CD with all the drivers on it. The problem is not with Linux. Or any other OS. It's the manufacterer's responsibility to create drivers.

Mrk

6. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have always managed to find a driver for my equipment although it has taken a search on the internet to do so, but I have to give you this one. I have an old Umax scanner and loaded up Gimp to see what happened and it found the scanner immediately and loaded it up.

As for Gimp - after Photoshop I could never use that.

I still don't know what the Unique Selling point of Linux is. It is meant to be more secure but other than that it is no faster and in fact seems a tad slower. When you consider that my 2k install is about 2 or more years old. I loads up various programs including 3 security apps which must take their toll.

At the moment it is in 6Gb partiion and left it to install itself in that. I can expand that to 30Gb and enlarge the swap space. Had a look at QTParted but that only sees the USB drive and not the current installation. Maybe it would be easier to do this from Windows where I have the s/w to do it but not sure if Linux would see its new location. Looking add/remove programs I cannot see any other offerings

7. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Selling points of Linux:

Free.
    No shady business behind the scenes.
    Customer is also the developer - all of us - community.
    Secure - no need for 3 billions of programs that do nothing useful.
    Faster than Windows - when properly configured:
    My experience, Linux runs 2-3 times faster than contemporary Windows on the same hardware.
    Full control, configurability and customization.
    Most distros come ready with 30-100 programs for instant use, instant production, unlike Windows, which comes with ... nothing.

Enough so far? I can go on longer.

Development, 64-bit support, compilation ...

Mrk

8. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

**cough cough Suse *buntu cough cough** :D

If the user wants an easy (by easy I mean automatic GUI) experience with linux, they are stuck with using one of the more bloated distrobutions. They can't be cut down to the bare essentials since every user is completely different. Windows does come with a lot of unecessary junk as well (remember msconfig and services.msc?) My windows install currently starts with 16 processes (or maybe 15, i don't remember), but that invovled cutting out a bunch of crap from the installation.

Same goes for ubuntu, I know you can edit what starts up and uninstall unecessary stuff, but by that point, why the heck did you install ubuntu?

I admit that it is great for getting started, then being able to play with the command line once in a while, until you are ready for another experience in the lines of slackware, gentoo, arch, a BSD, etc.

However, I truly didn't learn everything I know now until I bit the bullet and completely dedicated one of my pcs to arch linux only. Now, I can install an arch linux and get it fully running and updated in under 30 minutes (that includes downloading all of the junk and getting a fully working GUI environment including browser, text editor, xorg, enlightenment, dwm, etc.). The thing is, this system fits me perfectly and only contains what I want and need. However, ubuntu, all though
    it sets up everything automitically, doesn't have everything I need and has a junk load of stuff I don't. My computer will boot up in 25 seconds with arch, but in a minute and a half with ubuntu. Conclusion:

Install the bare minimum, then add only what you need. It is much better then installing everything, then trying to trim the system down, trust me. Also, you will learn a lot in a much shorter amount of time since you were forced to use the command line and learn the filesystem.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

9. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

and since selling points was introduced
    a few points about graphics driver development, 64bit and computer graphics applications.
    (one of which is likely at some level to have a trickle down effect even on a new user)

do to the widescale employment of Linux by large animation studios (even Pixar :p) the level of video card support is quite extensive, there are quite a few 64bit applications that at least leverage the memory if not the full potential (meaning Long Mode\64bit Mode vs Long Mode\Compatibility mode) But full 64bit application support when eventually developed are almost assured to be Linux based first. So additional Kernel development for 64bit is robust to say the least (from clusters to servers to workstations)

and then there is a wide range of rendering cluster possibilities as well as opensource and paidware graphics applications

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.