Mounted Volues: Why create a tib if noi changes were made

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Howard Kaikow, Jun 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I always mount volumes read-only, but I decided to try read/write mode.

Why was the .tib created even tho I made no changes to the mounted volume?

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Excellent question. presumably, if it is accurate, the incremental tib probably contains no changes. So one would guess that the program automatically opens an incremental tib when you specify write mode, but doesn't bother to delte it if no changes are recorded. Sounds like a fix-in-next-build kind of thing.

3. Howard Kaikow

There could be an option to not save changes.

4. Soundman

Soundman Registered Member

If you read any file while the volume was mounted read/write, Windows will update the "last access time" attribute of the file, which causes a write to the directory entries on the volume. So, the incremental .tib actually does have at least these access time changes.

One way you can tell if this is going on is to cause every file on the volume to be opened. Note that the size of the .tib should grow a little as you do. Some Windows services, such as the File Indexing Service may open many files automatically.

I know you can disable last access time tracking in Linux, but I'm not sure how or if you can do it with Windows.

Soundman

5. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

You can, but it's neither for the faint hearted nor the fat fingered:
    Code:
    Registry Settings 
    System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
    Value Name: NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate
    Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    Value Data: (0 = disable, 1 = enable) 

6. Soundman

Soundman Registered Member

Thanks, crofttk, for the registry tip. Note, however, that this appears to be a global setting, whereas you might prefer it to only apply to mounted TI images.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Howard Kaikow,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that when one mounts the image archive in read/write mode the incremental backup which will reflect changes created automatically. Even if no changes on file level (create new file/folder, edit old file etc) were made there are still changes on filesystem level (e.g. Windows perform I/O operations with the filesystem). Soundman gave an example of what may change.

If you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

8. Howard Kaikow

I'd just delete the tib file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.