Motherboard, case and RAM advice.

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ZeroDay, Oct 15, 2015.

1. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Hi All,

I recently purchased a cheap PC built and my local computer shop, I just had them build me something cheap that as going to get me going. I'm slowly upgrading this PC myself.

When it came out of the shop it had: an Intel G3220 3ghZ x2, 8gb of DDR3 1333Mz Ram and I had them fit a 256 SSD.
    So far I've upgraded the CPU to an Intel core i5 4570 Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.20GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I54570, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)
    I've installed an MSI GT 720 2GB DDR3 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card. I don't game, I just anted dedicated graphics and this card as cheap.
    I've just upgraded from a 230v standard PSU to a CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 Fixed ATX PSU - 430 W my main reason for the PSU upgrade is my old one was pretty loud and this new one is almost silent.

Now, The next 3 upgrades I want to make are: A new motherboard that can handle better RAM, my current motherboard is a Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H81M-H. Obviously once I have the new motherboard I'd then be looking for faster RAM and a new case.

Could someone give me some advice on which would be the most cost-effective motherboard upgrade that all my components would fit into, also which RAM would be best for this new board, I'd be happy with 16gb of DDR3 1600 RAM. And then some advice on what size case I'd be looking for to fit all this into?

Thanks's in advance for any help and advice.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

A hunch that you should first decide how much RAM you ultimately want for what purposes (think long term interests of what you might want to do), e.g. 32 GB for multiple VMs for better security and multiple purposes with a secure OS base (e.g. Qubes OS?

From that inspect motherboard specs with the same processor socket and meets your RAM objective, or look at potential other MB specs w/different MB processor socket specs that meet your RAM objective. Think about RAM socket compatibility as you decide to either reuse or upgarde with the same socket profile.

Then go after your faster RAM and new case.

-- Tom

3. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

When you say 'better ram', do you mean capacity or speed? You may only have 2 dimm slots but you can get a 2x8Gb kit and have your 16Gb. If you're talking speed, then that board may not have overclocking capabilities but you should be able to enable the XMP profile of a faster ram kit. That said, ram speed and latency makes a VERY small difference so it's up to you if it's worth it. Usually any gains drop off rapidly once you pass the 1600MHz mark.

4. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

In hindsight, I hope you learned not to upgrade in steps like this but rather design and build once with your ideal value/performance curve. If you do this, you'll never upgrade but replace every several years. You'll spend less time and money and will not have an inferior machine.

To answer your question:
    You won't notice a difference between 1333 and 1600 MHz RAM. I'd argue that you won't notice a difference between 1333 and 2133 RAM. Why do I have 2133 MHz RAM? Because I bought it once (at pretty much the same price as 1333 MHz RAM) when I built this machine 4 years ago and I game and gain a slight FPS increase with some games. You don't game and you haven't mentioned RAM-intensive applications, so this is moot; therefore, the most cost-effective motherboard is the one you already have.

You have a better CPU than I and the same amount of RAM as I (and I do run VMs as @lotuseclat79 mentioned) and I game. 16GB would benefit me when I run multiple VMs concurrently but I don't do this often but it isn't an issue. Given that my machine meets, quite well, my requirements, I can't imagine your getting any benefit whatsoever from upgrading.

Which, if you go any further, you didn't upgrade, you will have pretty much completely replaced the machine--storage is the only thing left, no? This is the slippery-slope of upgrading. At the beginning, would you have thought, "I want to replace my computer with a new one." rather than "I need to upgrade my computer"?

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I see no reason to replace the motherboard - especially since there's nothing wrong with that Gigabyte - my preferred brand.

You said you don't game so I don't see what you are looking for here. 8Gb is already a very respectable amount of RAM - but that board will support 2 x 8Gb of 1600 RAM, which is what you said you wanted. But it is highly unlikely with your SSD, you will notice any performance gains over your current 8Gb.

What kind of Windows license do you have on it now? Most likely it is OEM/System Builders and those are inextricably tied to the motherboard it was initially installed with. So if you buy a new board, you will most likely need to buy a new license too to be legal.

Then if you do get a new motherboard and new OS license, you will need to make sure your current CPU is compatible with the board, or you will have to buy a new CPU too.

So it seems to me, you only need a new case, and maybe (if you still want) the 2 x 8Gb of 1600 RAM this Gigabyte already supports and then you will be good to go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.