Most secure e-mail client?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Gnostic, Dec 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

I am a rather heavy e-mail user. I send and receive much e-mail of a personal and professional nature. I have never used Outlook. I have mainly used Eudora on my desktop and Pegasus on my laptop (because of memory concerns). I have always heard that The Bat! was the most secure e-mail client. Has anyone had experience with this program? Are there more secure e-mail clients out there? All suggestions will be appreciated.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Gnostic,

There are a few people using "The Bat!" here and I'm sure they'll reply with additional information for you. In the meantime, this thread has some good information on it and will also show you who here likes and uses it. ;)

"Alternate Email Client"
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=4352

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

3. Gnostic

Thanks for the link LowWaterMark! :cool: I looked at Poco and Delta. I still like what I read on The Bat! My only problem with really testing an e-mail program for only 30 days is the amount of work it takes to get it up and running like I want it in order to really see if it fits my needs. That's a lotta work to see implode on day 31! Is there a more secure program for free. It seems that most of the free ones are cutesy with lots of pretty emoticons and colors. I'm more concerned with security. My biggest complaint with Eudora is that it is a resource hog. While Pegasus is functional, I just don't like it as much.

Gnostic

4. Gnostic

I know this isn't a "glamorous" subject, but I do need input o_O I just read the trial license ageement for The Bat! It says registration allows you to use features not in the trial version. Does anyone know what features are locked out of the trial version? This could be decisive in my decision to try this program.

5. LowWaterMark

Sorry Gnostic,

It may be awhile before you get more replies. Some of those members who have posted in the past regarding The Bat! are in different time zones, so it may take them a bit to get back here and respond.

Give it a little time, :)
    LowWaterMark

6. Butthead

Butthead Guest

Not certain if this would be considered as OT. Was doing some cleaning an discovered that in OutLook Express Identities there was a very clear log kept of numerous programs I had previously installed and removed.
    This appears to be a serious problem privacy wise unless someone knows a way of cleaning these entries. The entries are of programs not users of OutLook Express an can be seen in Application Date/outlook express/identities. There are also related to these enteries urls that appear to be associated to the un-installed programs..updates urls perhaps?
    Since I have never used OutLook Express for e-mail I never thought to do any search of it. Having found this I am now ready to remove OutLook from my system.
    The topic was related to e-mail security so posted this here. Doing a wipe of C drive un-used space was useless. An regedit was just as useless. Since Windows replaces folders maybe deleting the indenties folder and re-placing it with a new folder may work. Anyone have any ideas?

7. Butthead

Butthead Guest

In the excitement I forgot how I accessed the data mentioned but when I do it will be copied and posted.

8. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Regardless of which email client you use, you can help to improve its security simply by adding two rules to your personal firewall:
    Rule 1 - Allow email client outbound access on port 25 and 110 to your email server
    Rule 2 - Block all other traffic from your email client
    This will prevent your email client connecting to webservers etc which will also stop it downloading those annoying pictures you get in spam (so you save some bandwidth also) ...

9. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

I was just going to write, you need to give us the full path and I see you are trying to find just that! Are you maybe talking about everything under Application Data?

John
    Luv2BSecure

10. Butthead

Butthead Guest

PATH=

Search/Folders/Program Files/Application Data/Identities/Daiaeca8***/Microsoft/OutLook Express =LEFT CLICK on OutLook Express then the screen on your right will show several items...pick SENT ITEMS and open with notepad

My uncle found it for me. He use to come here all the time. An man he blew when he saw the Trail left in Sent Items.

Wayne my firewall is application.

11. Butthead

Butthead Guest

My uncle just asked me not to make anymore posts here at the forum until I learn more about computers. Says I should just read until I learn more about computers.
    Guess its up to you guys.

12. Butthead

Butthead Guest

By saying that it was up to you guys I mean that its up to you to follow up on this topic in relation to the information I gave. Really I do not have much experience with computers so will just read the posts

13. LowWaterMark

I'm sorry Gnostic, it looks like this thread was taken pretty far off topic for a bit. :(

Folks - If Outlook has some newly discovered privacy issue regaridng the saving of information on unrelated applications, please start a new thread on it in the approproate forum. Thanks.

For anyone that knows about good, secure email clients in general, or "The Bat!" in particular, please post what you can about those in response to Gnostic's question. Thanks for your understanding. :)

14. Butthead

Butthead Guest

Please accept my apology Gnostic. This is my last post

15. Gnostic

No Butthead :eek: You are asking good questions, they just need to be in a new thread :D

You'll never learn if you don't ask these questions! :blink:

The Wilder's family has been most helpful to me in understanding security.

Sorry LowWaterMark, I just didn't want Butthead to quit posting.

Regards,
    Gnostic

16. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Gnostic,

Merely some bells ans whistles. You can run the trial as if you were using Outlook Express or any other standard email client. ;)

regards.

paul

17. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Butthead,

The path you are talking about is:
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{lots-of characters-and-numbers}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

You see that I have replaced some info in that path with lots-of characters-and-numbers.

I have opened that Sent Items.dbx with Wordpad and it doesn't seem to give much info.......
    An Hex-Editor seems to be more appropriate (or IEView coming with IEClean).
    So, if you or your uncle could tell some more about it.....

18. JellyRoll

JellyRoll Guest

Butthead thanks for the headsup. Seem to your uncle.
    The Path provided by Mr FanJ is correct. Opened Sent
    Items with Notepad an found a large amount of stored
    information.
    This feature whatever it is sure would make it easy
    to put a Bot or Trogan on a computer.

19. Gnostic

You accusing me of me of using Outlook? :D

Seriously, thanks Paul for the heads up. I am now trying out The Bat! and Becky! 2. I already like the fact that they're both leaner and faster than Eudora and I can't find one "bell or whistle" that I am losing.

Regards,

Gnostic :cool:

20. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Gnostic,

Oops...not accusing you of anything! :D.

Both The Bat! and Becky are very nice and solid email clients IMO. Keep us posted!

regards.

paul

21. snowman

snowman Guest

Much gratitude to Butthead and Jan for providing the information. Followed the path an discovered therein sent items a listing of every program installed since last re-format., even un-installed programs., plus., information from and about a previous isp.
    Keeping within the spirit of the topic if this is solely an issue with OutLook Express then it certainly is not anywhere near being a secure e-mail client. Would seem that the type of information being logged in this sent items folder is a breach of privacy........an related to how secure or not an e mail client is............clearly from this its seen that there is more to e mail security than just the sending/receiving of e mail....imho.......
    its not within my scope of knowledge how to clean the information from the sent items folder but I did delete a couple.......without any problems so far....but I don't dare delete everything because every program in my os is listed there.............
    sorry to hear that you wont be posting again Butthead..you certainly was an asset to me in this matter..an if you see this...may you have a truely very Merry Christmas.

Sincerely

snowman

22. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

I am afraid that I still don’t understand what was found there.
    I have OE 5.50.4807.1700 Dutch on W 98 SE Dutch.
    Almost the only things I find in “Sent Items.dbx” are the “characters” like I show in the screenshot below.
    Almost the only other things I find in “Sent Items.dbx” are those things:

LocalStore
    ((MSGCOL_FLAGS & ARF_WATCH) != 0 || (MSGCOL_FLAGS & ARF_IGNORE) != 0)

I don’t know what they mean.

I seem not to have any of those things which Butthead and Snowman are talking about.
    Sorry, I am completely in the dark what the reason is for that.
    Could it be my use of IEClean? I don’t know.
    Could it be caused by manually compressing the folders in OE? I don’t know.

Attached Files:

23. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Butthead and Snowman,

Could you please tell how you found those things?
    And what exactly (please give an example).

24. snowman

snowman Guest

Jan

started another thread on this issue but wont be posting any more info.....however, for you..

Everything is there...my entire os..every program!!!
    Over twenty url's...a trace of ..url's to Korea., Poland., India., etc., etc., have absolutely no idea what or how....an very upset......going to find an answer..

snowman

25. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Snowman,

Please keep posting about this topic !!!

I think it would be better to have all postings in one place (=thread) so I will close this thread and we can go on at the other thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.