Most reliable picture & document file backup method?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, May 12, 2013.

?

Most reliable backup method for documents & pictures

1. Cloud Storage

9 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. As Email Attachments

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. DVD/CD

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. External Hard Drive

36 vote(s)
    65.5%
  5. Print Out Hard Copy

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Of the many file backup (documents/pictures) methods it seems the usual methods are either cloud storage, a little different but similar method of storing attachments in emails, backing up to cd/dvd or using an external hard drive. All these methods have potential problems: cloud storage can be compromised by hackers or the cloud company itself can go belly up; cd/dvd's can go bad over time just as external hard drives can as well. Some people choose to print out a hard copy of any document or picture. Of course, there's potential issues with that as well, such as potential privacy invasion or loss and destruction.

In your opinion, what is the most reliable method to backup pictures and documents? If other than the method stated please post what you decide.

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

When SHTF, only hard copies will remain.

3. guest

guest Guest

External HDD. That and pen drives for backup purpose only. And make backups of your... backups. :D

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

External Hard Drive for me too. And I agree about many copy of the backups.

5. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

a) CDs/DVDs are relatively cheap and affordable for many but are unreliable in my experience.

b) External hard drives have the same issue of 'failure' but are more reliable. They are slightly pricier but a better investment in the long run. It's easy to transfer and delete files and you have more control over your data.

c) Cloud storage services are good for offsite backup. In the event that you lose your backup files (through the other means), there's a chance that you may retrieve them from the cloud storage. The primary concerns though are of privacy and data handling by the service provider and for how long they can survive in the market. If you are concerned, consider using them for those files which you don't deem sensitive enough to worry over or those files which you can afford to lose.

d) Hard copies don't have the "technical failure" issue but documents can tear and pictures can lose their quality over time. Still, it's good to keep hard copies of legal/important work documents and pictures/photos that have sentimental value.

Each has a potential to fail you so I'd say a combination depending on which ones fit your criteria (privacy, efficiency, time and costs, etc).

True but it also depends on what you mean by WTSHTF. Imagine your house/place where you keep your hard copies gets burnt OR your toddler (or angry wife) tear your files OR your dogs ate them.:p

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Of course the most reliable is to use as many as possible. As for most reliable single method, I would say hard copy stored in a secure offsite location.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I would say multiple external HDDs should be enough. Ideally 3 stored in different locations with backups of backups. :rolleyes:

8. mattdocs12345

There are also fire resistant boxes that you can buy. I would definitely consider one of them for sensitive data/documents.
    Cloud storage is also a good option for non-sensitive documents such as family photos, etc... Personally I combine both external HDD and cloud storage.

9. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I think one of the most reliable methods is hard copy. It's not invulnerable to physical damage though, so it is a good idea to use at least another backup method as well.

10. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

1. External HDD for all
    2. DVD for photos
    3. cloud for some documents.

Items 2 and 3 are also in the external HDD, in this way I feel pretty safe.

11. mattdocs12345

Pretty much having the two back ups:
    1. cloud storage such as google drive, skydrive or drop box
    2. local copy either on actual laptop or external HDD
    I mean what are the chances that both your house is going to burn down and google storage facility will loose your data on the same day?
    For sensitive documents I would replace cloud storage with simple DVD back up in a fire resistant box or something like that.

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

DVDs. external hard drives can fail and then bye bye data or pictures.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

True... I have both, just in case.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

But it will be almost impossible for all HDDs to fail at the same time. :D

15. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

My vote is for an external HDD. However you should make a backup to more than one drive, in case on drive fails.

Cloud storage is probably a viable option, but I would much rather have data in my own hands than being dependant on a 3rd party.

16. iammike

iammike Registered Member

3 external drives + 2x NAS (Both Raid-1)

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Overkill!! :D

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

4 USB hard drives (and I'm thinking of buying a fifth), for images and data. I do have DVDs as well but I won't use them anymore in the future as it is almost impossible statistically speaking for all the hard drives to fail simultaneously.

19. guest

guest Guest

My vote is for CD/DVD sometimes you may get a bad burn but just burn it over "rare" then you have a permanent backup far more trustworthy that any other as long as you don't misplace the copy:argh:

20. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

This :thumb:

21. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

I backup everything to an external HDD, but I burn all photos (as well as all other irreplaceable data and doc files) to archival grade DVD-R, which I then place in my safe-deposit box. :thumb:

Wendi

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  22. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Multiple cloud services (DropBox,SkyDrive,Google drive) for pictures and multiple DVDs for important documents.

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

What brand of archival grade DVD's you use?

24. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

The DVD+R format is more reliable and resistant to damage than the DVD-R format :thumb:

25. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

DVD, internal and external disks, onsite and offsite, multiple copies.
    Mrk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.